Reykjavík Region Travel Answers

change location

New Year advice....? (Help needed)

by sharbutt Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM

My girlfriend and i are coming to Reykjavik for New Year..

we have 3 whole days there as well as New Years eve..
We would like to have a great time and possibly see a few of the amazing sites there, like the Blue Lagoon, the Northern Lights, The Gullfoss waterfall.

Where we need help -
what would you do/see in these days in Reykjavik...

Also -
We would like to plan our New Years eve night, but cannot find anywhere that shows a break down of what happens/where we should go or what we can do for New Years Eve..?

Has anyone had any experience of New Years Eve and an opinion on how we can make this as memorable as possible... (we have heard about the Perlan restaurant, but we are not sure if that would mean spanding the whole of the night & New Years eve there..? (anyone done this..?)

Any help would be ever so grateful..!!

Thanks in advance...

Simon

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: New Year advice....? (Help needed)

by icelandphotoblog Online Now Oct 4, 2008 at 4:48 AM

Hi Simon, first I would recommend to take a whole day to go what is called the golden circle. That tour will take you to Þingvellir, Gullfoss waterfall and Geysir. Northern lights are normally best viewed between 22:00 - 02:00 local time and you need a warm cloths because it gets really cold over the night.

Now, what to do on New years eve... well it depends but I highly recommend that you see bonfire which are normally located on same places year after year. Can see map here " dev.innri.reykjavik.is/Porta... " for last year bonfires around Reykjavík. Normally they starts around 20:00 local time.

People starts firing up their fireworks around 23:00 but the real show starts 00:00 when the sky will be covered with fireworks! Best viewpoints are Perlan or being in Breiðholt at a good place, most drivers know good spots for viewing the firework show.

Please feel free to contact my directly if you want. :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Reykjavík Region Travel Answer Locations