Travel Answers
Reykjavík

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• How do I write/convert Icelandic alphabets to English alphabets?

Iceland Jan 30, 2016 at 4:13 AM

Sorry if this question is out of point for this forum but this is my best chance...
      I need to fill up a written form at my local bank to send currency to Iceland.
      Problem is, my bank requires the form to be written in English block letters.

Borgartúni = Borgartuni
      Lögreglan = Logreglan
      Höfuðborgarsvæðinu = Hofuoborgarsvaeoinu

Will the above alphabet substitution make sense to the Icelanders??

Looking forward to your advice!
      Thank you so much!!! :)

more
    • Iceland Traveller UK company

Iceland Jan 21, 2016 at 5:26 AM

Has anyone used http://icelandtraveller.co.uk/ to book tours? Since this is our first trip to Iceland we want to make sure we're using good tour companies.

more
    • Breakfast In Rejkevik

Iceland Jan 20, 2016 at 4:29 PM

We will be arriving in Iceland the morning of Feb 21 and then staying at Rejkevik, Natura Hotel. Although the hotel does have a restaurant that serves breakfast we would prefer not to eat there that first morning since we are entitled to free breakfast AFTER that day. Is there a restaurant close to the hotel that serves Breakfast? We must be back to the hotel by 12:30 for pickup for an excursion. It seems the only restaurants for breakfast are in the City Center and we are afraid we would have a hard time getting there and back in time. Suggestions???????

more
    • JustPo's Profile Photo

Booking tours while in Iceland

Iceland Jan 16, 2016 at 5:14 PM

I'll be in Iceland first week of June 2016 and wanted to do some tours (golden circle, puffin, south shore). Will I be okay waiting til I get there to book them? I don't want to book them in advance just in case I want to relax or switch days due to weather. I'm so excited!!

more
    • MaryLfloyd's Profile Photo

Sights outside of Reykjavik

Iceland Jan 15, 2016 at 5:39 AM

If we only have a week in Iceland, aside from Reykjavik, what would the one or two other major locations be that we should travel to to get a more of a sense of the country? Thingvellir National Park? Thjorsarver Wetlands? Golden Circle? Any of the glaciers? Ion, Glymur, Budir, Stracta, or Kerlingarfjoll hotels? Or any other sights?

more
    • Iceland airfairs?

Iceland Jan 27, 2016 at 8:06 AM

I just joined, and can't find how to do a search.

I am flying to Greenland in July, from Toronto, and from what I see, the routes are through Iceland. This is good because after GL I will be going to IL for 2 weeks.

Hoping you folks can give me suggestions on cheapest airlines, or if I should use travel agent?

What is good approximation of US dollars to get there?

Thanks so much.

(Also, where do I find a search tool in VT?)

more
    • Northern Lights in August and September?

Iceland Jan 27, 2016 at 7:56 AM

I assume yes for these months, but want to double check...thx

more
    • MaryLfloyd's Profile Photo

How far ahead to book airfare to Reykjavik?

Iceland Jan 14, 2016 at 1:51 PM

I want to fly to Reykjavik from New York this March (2016). How far ahead should I look to book airfare in order to get the lowest price?

more
    • 6 days in Iceland in February

Iceland Jan 17, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Hello! I am planning a trip to Iceland at the end of February and wanted advice on the possible itinerary. We would like to spend a few days in Reykjavik but also want to go to the Vatnajökull region. Some of the things we know we'd like to do are visit the Blue Lagoon, wander around Reykjavik, go on a tour of the Golden Circle and I'm really interested in checking out the ice caves and glaciers, which is why we want to go to the Vatnajökull region. How easy will it be to drive between these places during February? Any advice on the itinerary and other things to see and do would be appreciated!

more
    • Iceland puchases

South Iceland Jan 11, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Is there a need to get Iceland's currency or can US dollars be spent?

more

Near Reykjavík

• Icelandic horse t-shirt

by patoutland Online Now Oct 24, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Bought an Icelandic horse t-shirt at the airport -- side of head sketch, very modern, spare, curved, large and located off center. Black with white sketch. Have tried to contact the Icelandic airport shop to no avail. The horse show was one of the most fabulous horse events ever (we are all horse lovers) and would love to get t-shirts for all of us (4). Thank you-Pat

9 Answers Oct 24, 2015 at 3:30 PM
    • Touring / general advice

by crazymum Online Now Oct 18, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Thinking about visiting mid January = knowing that it will be dark by 3pmish what is there to do in Reykjavik

Worried about one day trip - first time to Iceland particularly in that the weather can change at an instant
      Car we're thinking of renting is a Skoda octavio 4 x 4 - do we need a SUV such as a Dacia??

Depart Foss hotel Baron for nearest location to Grota lighthouse to see northern lights = we hope!!

1st stop Stora Sandfell
      Hvaergeroi
      Selfoss
      Kerio
      Strokkur geyser

Are the geysirs easily walkable from car parks etc

Clothing - will jeans be warm enough with decent walking boots - top layers we have Eider fleeces and waterproofs with several jumps

All practical advice much appreciated. Many thanks

5 Answers Oct 19, 2015 at 1:37 PM
    • WINE IMPORT LIMITS

by packtarl Online Now Sep 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Can anyone tell me the up to date customs limit for bringing wine into Iceland in my suitcase, I have looked at various websites and some contradict others. I will be travelling with my wife from the UK and we are intending to pack 3 boxes of wine that each contain 2.25 litres in our suitcase. So that's 6.75 litres in total. This is between us, not each. We will not be bringing any spirits or tobacco products. Thankyou.

11 Answers Sep 30, 2015 at 10:49 AM
    • gemmakwhite1's Profile Photo

Christmas tours

by gemmakwhite1 Online Now Sep 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM

I arrive on the afternoon of 24th December, what does anyone advise me and my fiancé to do? It looks like most day tours will be closed, with only a few open on the 25th.
      Also any recommendations on place to eat on these days? I guess we will need to be making reservations, I know we couldn't walk into a restaurant at home and expect a table.

4 Answers Sep 24, 2015 at 3:15 AM
    • Cost of beer

by packtarl Online Now Sep 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM

How much is draught beer/ lager and a glass/ bottle of wine? Thanks.

3 Answers Sep 5, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    • Restaurant Opening Hours

by keitijaroth Online Now Aug 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Roughly what time do restaurants open for breakfast in Reykjavik?

2 Answers Aug 21, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    • Whale watching to do or not to do... November

by Collee76 Online Now Aug 15, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Hello

I will be in Reykjavik for 5 days in November. I have tours booked on first three days. I depart at 16.30pm on the Tuesday. I can't decide whether to do whale watching tour on the Monday and Blue Lagoon on my way to the airport on Tuesday or whether to skip the whale watching tour and do the Blue Lagoon on the Monday and then relax on the Tuesday. Has anyone done Whale watching in November and would you recommend it?

Thank you.

Regards
      Colleen

5 Answers Aug 19, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    • jeroli's Profile Photo

excursions

by jeroli Online Now Jul 28, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Hi We are planning a 3 night trip to Reykjavik next winter. Which is the best month for snowmobiling/Northern Lights?
      Is it better to book our trips online before we go?
      Thanks

3 Answers Jul 29, 2015 at 7:35 PM
    • Sun voyager replica

by maricaro Online Now Jul 21, 2015 at 5:08 AM

This week i was in Reykjavik and i saw a replica of the sun voyager in a shop near bij the churge.
      I don't remember the name of the shop and street.

Please wo can help me?

regard Mario

2 Answers Jul 21, 2015 at 11:02 PM
    • Leave some clothes in Reykjavik for a week

by OleksandrR Online Now Jul 21, 2015 at 4:25 AM

Hi there, I'll be visiting Iceland in a week (in Iceland - 2 weeks, first week is tracking). I don't want to take some casual clothes with me on the track
      Any advice where I could leave it?
      Thank you!

5 Answers Aug 21, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    • DiezelT43's Profile Photo

Motorcycles from the U.S. to Iceland

by DiezelT43 Online Now Jun 23, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Inquiring about information for me and a buddy to get our motorcycles to Iceland for a ride from the U.S.. Info on possible travel arrangements, ferries for the bikes, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated.

3 Answers Jul 13, 2015 at 4:13 AM
    • car for weekends

by 93mloda93 Online Now Jun 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM

hello, 3 erasmus students are looking for car for the weekends (we will be in Reykjavik from 26th June till 3rd August).

3 Answers Jun 24, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    • BSI Bus Terminal

by bangles Online Now Apr 2, 2015 at 3:56 AM

On a cruise which only stops in Reykjavik for a couple of hours 1pm till 11pm. There will only be 2 of us. Seems most shore excursions depart before ship arrives, so I was thinking of visiting Blue Lagoon. I have found a tour that departs from the BSI Bus Terminal. Can anyone tell me how far from the port the bus terminal is and how do I get there.?

I was also considering the Hop on Hop Off Bus as I think we would have time to do both. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2 Answers Apr 2, 2015 at 6:45 AM
    • Geothermal Pump Stations

by adamramsay93 Online Now Feb 7, 2015 at 6:25 AM

Im looking for the locations of each of these (archdaily.com/90406/geotherm...) Geothermal Pump Stations by PK Arkitektar. I wondered if you guys could help me with this information as I can't find any online. I need to know how many there are and their locations. Any more information about the hot water wells in Reykjavik would be a great help.
      Thanks
      Adam

9 Answers Feb 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    • changing money

by packtarl Online Now Jan 26, 2015 at 3:45 AM

I realise that rates fluctuate but in general am I better changing my money in the UK or am I likely to get a better rate in Rekjavic? Many thanks.

11 Answers Feb 4, 2015 at 9:25 AM
    • transportation

by packtarl Online Now Jan 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Hi. We are 4 adults. What are the options and costs of getting from the airport to the centre? We are staying at the Hotel Fron and will arrive on a Saturday afternoon. Many thanks.

9 Answers Jan 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM
    • TravelingSue's Profile Photo

Questions about Reykjavik

by TravelingSue Online Now Dec 31, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Will be in Reykjavik for 4 days in February. Main purpose is to hopefully see the Northern Lights. How much light will we have during the day and what do you recommend to see other than Golden Circle Tour? Thanks.

5 Answers Jan 1, 2015 at 5:30 PM
    • All-you-can-eat places in Reykjavik, Iceland?

by Biodieselmaker Online Now Oct 24, 2014 at 5:55 AM

What all-you-can-eat restaurants with an open buffet are recommended in Reykjavik? I might be traveling through there on a semi vacation next March. Good food and lots of it enhance the experience.

3 Answers Apr 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM
    • Lost Hat

by Needingsomehelp Online Now Oct 18, 2014 at 5:53 PM

My in-laws recently returned from a trip from Reykjavic, Iceland. They stayed at the Centerhotel Plaza and purchased a hat at the store next to the hotel. It was a blue baseball cap with Iceland and a patch with a sheep on the front that was made from real sheep wool. He wore that hat everywhere since they came home a few weeks ago. Until today. He was volunteering to pack food and medical supplies for third world countries. Someone there stole his hat from his work station while he was in the restroom. Tonight I have a heartbroken kiddo on my hands. Can someone help me find the name and email of the store?

2 Answers Oct 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    • KseniaV's Profile Photo

Urgently searching for an accommodation

by KseniaV Online Now Aug 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Hello,

My name is Ksenia and I come from Estonia,Tallinn. I'll be studying as an exchange student at the University of Iceland for one semester. Couple of days ago I arrived to Iceland and temporarily staying at my friends place. But I am urgently searching for a room to rent! I am looking for a room or a person who is looking for a roommate or something that would locate more enough close to the university of Iceland and cost maximum about 300-350 eur per month. It is really hard to find a room now, because of the high season period. Is there somebody who knows smthing about this?
      My email is reitachan@gmail.com
      Looking forward for your replies,

Ksenia

7 Answers Sep 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    • Cheap Campingstore

by skiepe Online Now Aug 18, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Hay! I'm going to travel to Reykjavik. I'm planning on camping all the time. I need to get to a campingstore in Reykjavik for some supplies. Anybody has a place for that?
      Also: they say wild camping is prohibited in Reykjavik... Is it easy to do wild camping? Is there space? What should i look out for when wild camping (locationwise). Thanks!

3 Answers Sep 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    • worksopian's Profile Photo

Banks in Reykyavik

by worksopian Online Now Jun 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Wheres the best place with the best rates to change money in Reykyavik.
      Thanks
      Ian

3 Answers Jun 10, 2014 at 4:04 AM
    • Address for bakery called Brauðhúsið in Reykjavik?? can't find!

by midoritori2014 Online Now Jun 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Hello

I have heard wonderful things about this bakery called Brauðhúsið but cannot find their address (or even a website). we would like to visit this place as we eat only natural food and would like to continue to do so on our trip.

Thanks!

2 Answers Jun 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    • Organic grocery store in Reykjavik?

by midoritori2014 Online Now Jun 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Hello,

While my husband and I stay in Reykjavik we would love to still eat organic or at least natural. Are there any grocery stores that sell organic/ natural food?

Thanks so much!

6 Answers Jun 17, 2014 at 6:22 AM
    • best way to get around

by MPoynor Online Now May 31, 2014 at 11:20 AM

What is the best way to get around in the city? Are the taxi's expensive, is there good bus service and what does it cost,?

8 Answers Jun 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    • Getting to my Hotel

by HOMERONALD Online Now Apr 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

What is the best way to get to my hotel (the Hilton Reykjavik Nordica) from the Crystal disembarkation cruise terminal in Reykjavik. How far a trip is it? What will it cost? Also, how do I get from my hotel (The Hilton Reykjavik Nordica) to the international airport.

2 Answers Apr 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    • Statue of man outside bar

by 3121Matt Online Now Apr 11, 2014 at 2:36 AM

I was wanting to know what the statue of the man with his head down is outside of the Geysir bar and Tapas is about. Thanks!!!

2 Answers Apr 14, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    • spending 3 nights in Reykjavik

by aimeet88 Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 7:26 AM

WHat to do on a Sunday and Monday

3 Answers Mar 20, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    • Soup restaurant

by epogrund Online Now Mar 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Where is the soup and bread restaurant that advertises 800 isk for soup in reykjavik?

2 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    • Bike Rack Hire

by adamramsay93 Online Now Feb 25, 2014 at 4:06 AM

Hi,

A group of us are going to ride mountain bikes in Iceland at the beginning of June and would like to know where the best place to rent a bike rack is? We are hiring vehicles for the trip.

Thanks

1 Answer Feb 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM