Reykjavík Travel Answers

change location

How far in advance should you book Iceland air tickets?

by JJ_NYC Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM

My fiance and I are looking to go to Iceland in November 2013 for our honeymoon. I am wondering how far in advance we should book tickets to get the best price? Right now on Icelandair they are 667 round trip. I think thats a pretty good price, but I'll be kicking myself if the price drops. Any experience with that?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • von.otter's Profile Photo

Re: How far in advance should you book Iceland air tickets?

by von.otter Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I cannot speak about a trip to Iceland specifically but I believe that the sooner reservations are booked for any flight, anywhere the better chances of getting a good price and a good seat. As it is with any commodity, the law of supply & demand set the price. The closer to departure date the price usually rises, despite contemporary last-minute web pages promising otherwise.

I also follow this early booking rule for reservations at hotels too. When I was making reservations for Venice and the Veneto region of Italy, for travel in late May, I was surprised that by late October I was being told, by some hotels, that we could not be accommodated on the days we selected because rooms were already reserved. Book early is always my advice!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM

The main reason that you would get an air fare price drop is that the price of oil has fallen or that the economy is not doing well. Both the US and Europe are looking economically healthier, so I'm not sure if I would count on that.

On the other hand, Novemeber is off season for Iceland, so chances of a sold out flight are probably not that high.

I'm not sure if I would be heading to Iceland in November; with the weather and very limited daylight hours. I love Iceland, but I'll stick to travelling in the summer when the interior is accessible.

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 6:51 AM

You don't say where you will be flying from ...
    Generally as posted above, the sooner you book the better the ticket cost.
    (don't let Grumpy Driver put you off!!!! :-) ... I visited Iceland during their snow and blizzards, ice etc... and it was stunning - you may even get to see the Northern Lights...) The Ring Road is (generally) kept in a good state with re. to snow etc... but, if you are driving, you will need to ensure winter tyres are on your vehicle and that you are careful. I feel I am always repeating myself with this point but I presumed my car (4WD) would have winter tyres... it didn't! The conditions were bad and I came off the road. I was very lucky that it only took 4 hours to be rescued, that they could drag the car back up and that nobody was badly injured... 2 minutes further along the same road would have been a different story.
    It's a remarkable country and am sure a honeymoon there will be magical and very romantic (if travelling around just don;t go expecting luxury in terms of accommodation or food. A lot of places will be closed and then it can all start getting very remote and basic!)

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM

One of the reasons I recommend against a self-drive in Iceland in the winter months is precisely to avoid the incident you had on your trip smirnofforiginal. Yes, snow tires do help, a 4x4 helps even more, but that is only true if you are in control; once you've lost it neither do you much good. You are quite lucky that nothing more serious than getting stuck in the snow happened to you, the outcome could have been far, far worse. Chances are that you were driving too fast for your the road conditions and your experience level.

I've been to Iceland a couple of times (in the summer), so I know what the roads are like. I'm also a very experienced winter driver; in snow and icy conditions. Trying your first real winter driving on vacation is something I would discourage anyone from doing. It's not a skill that you can pick up over a couple of days of practice. The most important thing to know are your limits of your driving skills.

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Lol...not in the least condescending. I was certainly not driving too fast and you know nothing of my driving skilks or my experience! I was not on the ring road which had all been perfectly fine as it is kept well, especially the south.

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

If you lost control and went off the road, you were driving too fast.

That is not being condescending, I'm just stating a fact. Weather conditions, road conditions, vehicle (including appropriate tires), driver experience are all part of the equation.

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Nope! Not speed - You are second guessing wrongly! But this isn't helpful to the thread/OP.

I think your original advice was good and I thought mine was also good. Iceland will be beautiful and hundreds of people flock there in the winter to see the northern lights. The OP does not actually say they intend to drive and, there are plenty of tours from Reykjavik that mean they don't have to do it themselves. However, should they drive, they now know to take serious care and not to expect the vehicle to be automatically set up for the best driving experience in bad conditions.

The question was regarding flights and, in summary, flights usually make their cheaper seats available first. As November is off season and also outside the school holidays it is possible the flights won't increase dramatically but I would still anticipate an increase.

• Re: How far in advance should you book Iceland air tickets?

by JJ_NYC Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 12:34 PM

We're not really planning on doing too much of our own driving - see that its our honeymoon and we anticipate the roads may not be that great - we are planning on just doing day trips from Reykjavik. We'll probably just shell out the money it costs to go on some organized trips. We plan on eating most of our meals on our excursions or in Reykjavik - I assume everything will be open - I mean its not dead of winter yet. Thoughts?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Just remember that Reykjavik and Iceland are both fairly very places, certainly from a population standpoint, and set your expectations accordingly.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Reykjavík