Reykjavík Travel Answers

change location
darrensunley's Profile Photo

A choice of 2 hotels... and is April any good ??

by darrensunley Online Now Jan 2, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Hi,

I am looking at taking a trip to Reykjavik for 3 nights at the end of April with my parents (so it's not gonna be all night partying !!). Anyway, a couple of questions I have are...

1) - The choice of hotels that I've narrowed it down to are two .... the Radisson Saga hotel and the Hilton Nordica hotel. Now, all the reviews basically summarise it that the Hilton is the much better hotel (not that the Radisson is bad either) but it is quite a walk away from the centre of things. But there are apparently buses into town. Can anyone recommend one hotel over the other and say why please ?? My head tells me to go for the Radisson as we're only going to be there 3 nights and its location that will be more useful than a nice hotel - but I'm open to being convinced about the Hilton too !!

2) - I've looked at the average temperatures for Iceland and the end of April is clearly not warm - although not too cold either. Is this a good time to go (i.e. a decent compromise in terms of price/temperature) or is there anything that we would miss or places that would be closed due to the time of year ??

Thanks in advance,
Darren

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Re: A choice of 2 hotels... and is April any good ??

by marielexoteria Online Now Jan 2, 2009 at 4:46 AM

I stayed at the Radisson Saga hotel and while the hotel isn't as centric as many others, I didn't find the walk to the city center either long or difficult in any way. It's actually a nice walk and the only thing you need to look out for is crossing at Hringbraut. There are buses stopping nearby, I think next to the National Library and one next to the University of Iceland but since we walked around Reykjavik, I can't tell how they go. However, look at www.bus.is for directions, timetables, etc.

Compare the Radisson Saga's location at backman.is/mapofrvk/part1.ht... with Nordica Hotel at (I think) backman.is/mapofrvk/part9.ht... and the main attractions we visited are located between part7.html and part8.html.

I think the big tours (Golden Circle and the like) are open at the end of April and so are the museums. Is there something closed? Possibly, but I don't think you'll run out of ideas of what to do.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Reykjavík