Rethymno Travel Answers

change location
AcornMan's Profile Photo

Hotel recommendation? How long should I stay?

by AcornMan Online Now Mar 28, 2005 at 8:22 AM

After seeing Knossos and the archeological museum in Heraklion, I plan to take the bus to Rethymnon and spend at least one night there before driving down to Plakias for a few nights and then to the southwest part of Crete for the remainder of my visit. I will probably arrive in Rethymnon in the evening. Can someone recommend a good but inexpensive hotel there?

Also, is one night enough in Rethymnon or should I stay a second night so I can spend a full day there before heading south? I don't want to be in too big of a hurry, but I also don't want to miss anything if it's worth staying longer. Normally I would not try planning things like this but I need to know when to have my rental car reserved. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

RE: Hotel recommendation? How long should I stay?

by gale.blog.pl Online Now Mar 29, 2005 at 12:15 AM

Rethymno is definetely worth a two-day stay. Although it is not large and you can see a lot of Rethymno on one day, I'd recommend that you spend a little more time there - at least for its special atmosphere. Especially if you have the opportunity to extend your stay in that city :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Elenitsa's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Hotel recommendation? How long should I stay?

by Elenitsa Online Now Mar 29, 2005 at 9:04 AM

I agree with Adam - the fortress will take you the best part of a day - it's HUGE!

Afraid no hotel recommendations - we just went with a guy who met the bus and I've no contact details. There's plenty of places tucked away below the fortress. Check out your Rough Guide or Lonely planet - anything in the north east sector of the town should be OK!

• Spincat's Profile Photo

by Spincat Online Now Mar 30, 2005 at 5:58 AM

I agree with the previous two responses : there is a lot to see and enjoy in Rethymnon - on the other hand you can't do everything and my first trip to Rethymnon was just a day trip many years back. Last year I stayed four nights and this time I'll be staying a week. So you can always come back....
    Last May I stayed in Olga's Pension in the old town - it was a very small room in a quite bohemian place/slightly scruffy place with a great view of a mosque minaret and a lovely roof garden. They have larger rooms and suites than the VERY cheap matchbox we rented (think about 25 euros) - though larger rooms not I think available for one night only. (This time I've got a cheap package and I'll be based in Pepi studios which is only bookeable through a tour company for minmum one week so not much use to you). I have heard Ideon hotel recommended by quite a few people - it is a much more modern and international hotel than Olga's: normally I'm not keen on that sort of place but it does have a good setting and all kinds of people seem to like it. Try to get a place in the old town as there are some rather sprawling environs to Rethymnon. I have always found Rough Guide to Crete reliable on rooms.
    One thing though - if you are picking up a car there, only local residents can drive into the old city: this makes it a nicer place to be but we did have a problem with our bags and hire be warned.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

RE: Hotel recommendation? How long should I stay?

by AcornMan Online Now Apr 1, 2005 at 6:43 AM

Is there some kind of kiosk or office near the bus stop where I can book a hotel? I don't want to get there an then have to wander around looking for a room.

• Spincat's Profile Photo

by Spincat Online Now Apr 1, 2005 at 7:20 AM

Not 100% sure, but don't think so. Best to get 'Rough Guide' map which marks the clusters of hotels - if you are both too knackered to go off together with bags one person goes off - while other relaxes in a Kafenion- and gets the room. That's what we do in Crete anyway - and it places you in a good bargaining position for whole hoilday if your partner gets a dodgy place...

• Elenitsa's Profile Photo

by Elenitsa Online Now Apr 1, 2005 at 8:53 AM

Hi. Didn't get a chance to see if there was an office (don't think there is) as we were descended on as soon as we got off the bus!!

Why not jot down a few numbers (or store them in your cellphone) and, once you're on the bus to Rethymnon, start phoning round - you never know if you can tell them which bus you're on you might get a lift from the bus station!

If that doesn't appeal head for the old harbour - one of you can sit with a frappe and the bags while the other knocks on doors...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rethymno