Reims Travel Answers

change location
chewpeng_79's Profile Photo

how to get there, where to stay?

by chewpeng_79 Online Now Apr 4, 2011 at 12:30 AM

i will be travelling to reims from disney.

1. can anyone tell me how to get there? and how do i travel from reims to epernay?

2. is epernay is the best place i can spend a nite to travel at vineyard and learn about champagne?

3. will maily champagne make a better place?

4. im on public transport. how do i go around to the vineyard and dine? is there any train or busses?

5. is there any arranged ground tour in reims or epernay? do i need to book in advance?

im bringing my 1 and half yr old baby along...im all confused now... please advise...

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • pedroswift's Profile Photo

Re: how to get there, where to stay?

by pedroswift Online Now Apr 4, 2011 at 4:46 AM

You are very adventurous combining travel with a 1.5 year old and Champagne. We had a 3.5 year old grandson in tow when we visited a couple of years ago but had a car.
    As you are restricted to public transport, Mailly-Champagne is probably not an option because it is “out of town”..
    Your education on Champagne will probably be best done at a major Champagne House where you pay for the visit which includes a guided tour of cellars , an explanation of the technique involved ( usually with audio visual beginning to the visit) and a tasting of wine at the end of the visit. The cost of the visit depends on the number and quality of Champagne tasted at the end of tour.
    I can comment on Epernay because I have found visits to major houses more convenient there than Reims and because the friends I have taken to Champagne have had a fixation on Moet at Chandon. It is the best known House & everyone wants to visit. However, there are alternatives.
    In your case, I would recommend Mercier because of the ease of access to the underground caves which if accessed by stairs involves hundreds of steps. Mercier has lifts (elevators) and a train to take you on the visit of the caves….other Houses require walking on the tour. Mercier visit was Euro 9.00 in 2010.
    The major houses are located on the Ave de Champgne located about 800 metres to 1km from the Epernay Railway station. Taxi may be best.
    The only hotels we have used are Ibis Eperany ( a 1km taxi ride to the major Houses) and Campanile Dizy (which requires your own transport – 4kms away from Moet).
    Have made visits to Houses in Reims (located away from city centre) using own transport. Closest being Mumm which is located about 1.5kms from Reims Railway Station. I suspect visit to the vineyards is not necessary. You will see them from the train if you travel in daylight. They can be totally boring or very beautiful, depending on the time of year you plan to visit.
    Of course, you can save the money you would spend on the trip. Stay home. Buy a bottle of Champagne from a different house every week and read about how it was made on the world wide web while you taste.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines