Reims Travel Answers

change location

travelling to Reims

by valderome Online Now Dec 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

my husband & i will be in France next summer and want to spend a weekend in Amsterdam and about 5 days in Reims. we had wanted to catch a train from Amsterdam to Reims and then return to Paris by train from Reims but there doesn't appear to be a traiin from Amsterdam to Reims that I can find. Any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

Re: travelling to Reims

by cubsur Online Now Dec 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM

There are no direct trains between Amsterdam and Reims. You will always have to go through Paris, changing trains and stations there and possibly change also elsewhere.

The best source of information on train times is the German Railways database at

www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de

which is available in numerous languages. However you cannot make reservations (essential) using that site so you will need to look at www.raileurope.com or anotehr simialr site.

It will be a fairly long journey given the need to cross Paris between terminal stations.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Dec 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I think you need to look nearer the time of travel to check available services. Train services do change and new routes may open. In any event it's worth getting some ideas now so you can work out the logistics. Maybe a route via Brussels and then change for another service - perhaps getting to Lille and switching onto the TGV network. Reims has a TGV station called Champagne-Ardennes but it is not in the city itself. Perhaps a couple of changes may mean that you can avoid going to Reims via Paris and see more of Europe?
    But I think looking nearer the time of travel may prove more useful.
    Maybe even getting to Reims via Strasbourg the home of all those Eurocrats !

• qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now Dec 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM

There isn't a single train, no, but of course you can take a series of trains, it will always be a minimum of 2, with a change in Paris. At the moment this takes nearly all day, i.e. +/- 7 hours, but high-speed service on Thalys is coming into operation Amsterdam and Brussels next week and reduce that leg by 1 hour to 1h53 (it is already in operation between Brussels and Paris, this leg takes 1h22). So look again at the DB site - reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu... - after 13/12/09. Here is a sample timing at the moment, for a weekday, by Thalys and TGV, both of which require compulsory seat reservation and therefore advance booking:
    Amsterdam Centraal dep 09:26
    Paris Nord arr 13:35
    Paris Nord dep 13:35
    (transfer 30 min. walking distance 800 m
    Paris Est arr 14:05)
    Paris Est dep 15:57
    Reims arr 16:42

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines