change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• hugheyjr08's Profile Photo

Traveling Over Andes to Puerto Mont from Bariloche Argentina

Puerto Montt Jun 26, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I would like to take a boat over the Andes from Bariloche into Puerto Montt in March of 2015. What are the companies that offer this? Who has the best deals? I am looking for ones that may have atleast one night stay in the Andes somewhere.

more
    • adamfiz85's Profile Photo

Food at Refugios - what to expect?

Torres del Paine Jun 20, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Another rookie question (sorry!)

My wife and I (mainly my wife, I'll eat anything) were wondering what kind of food we should expect at the refugios in TDP? Read mixed reviews, some people say it's junk food (somebody ordered chips and guacamole, and got doritos as "chips"), others say its like cafeteria food, etc.

In other words...what is your typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner meal package?

Can you purchase produce (apples, bananas, etc) at the shops, or do they offer them at all?

We just want to make sure it's at least somewhat substantial and semi-healthy to fuel the long hikes.

Thanks much!

Adam

more
    • Ferry between Puerto Montt and Puerto Natales

Chile Jun 25, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Will be in Chile in October and wondering if will be too cold/windy the third week of October to take three day ferry ride?

more
    • Valparaiso to Santiago

Chile Jun 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I need to get from Valparaiso cruise terminal to Santiago Airport. details please!

more

Traveling from Puerto Montt to Santiago Best Options

Puerto Montt Jun 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM

What is the best quality for the price traveling from Puerto Montt to Santiago Chile? What are the companies that offer these services? Also do you have any suggestions on towns to stop at and stay for a day or two between the two cities?

more
    • Rent a camper or 4x4 pickup

Punta Arenas Jun 17, 2014 at 3:42 AM

Hi All, we are planning a trip to Chile in November.
      But we found that renting a campervan or mobilehome is not as easy as expected. First of all, they are very expensive.
      Does anyone have any tips on this???
      Maybe its better and cheaper to hire a 4x4 rental car and just rent additional camping equipment. But where to do this?
      When searching the internet I always end up on the same sites.

Thanks,

Michael

more
    • Solo "W" in late June?

Torres del Paine Jun 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Hello!

I was hoping to hike the W at some point over the next few weeks and as of now don't have anyone to hike it with. Do you think I'll be okay hiking/camping alone? I have the appropriate clothing and will rent sleeping bag/tent in Puerto Natales.

On a similar note, it sounds like car/bus transfer from Puerto Natales to Torres del Paine is difficult to find at this time of year. Are you familiar with what my options might be? Would it be possible to hire a taxi rather than rent a car?

Thank you so much for any help/suggestions. As of now I think I may go down to Puerto Natales (fly Santiago -> Punta Arenas) and try to figure out more there. Perhaps I may also find someone else to trek with.

Raphael

more

Refugios for the W circuit - booking?

Torres del Paine Jun 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM

What is the best way to book the refugios along the W circuit? For example I wanted to stay at Las Torres, Los Cuernos, Paine Grande, and Refugio Grey. I see there are two agencies (Fantastico and Vertice).

How many months in advance should I book? I am beginning my trip on January 1, 2015.

Any help or recommendations is appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

more

Hiking from Los Cuernos to Paine Grande (via Valle Frances) in 1 day?

Torres del Paine Jun 19, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Is it possible (in only one day) to hike starting at Los Cuernos, then past Campamento Italiano, all the way to Campamento Britanico (i.e. the valle frances trail), and then all the way to Refugio Paine Grande to sleep?

My wife and I are trying to do the W trail, and stay at Refugios every night for the food and shelter. I've read that most people spend the night at Campamento Italiano. Problem is, I was not planning on bringing a tent, stove, etc. It is always an option, but I was hoping to cut down on the weight of my bag.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Adam

more
    • How to get from Puerto Chacabuco to Coyhaique

Puerto Chacabuco Jun 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM

We are a party of 4 coming on Nov 27, 2014 with a cruise liner. We will be docked from 10am-6pm.
      1. Is the road from Puerto Chacabuco to Coyhaique well paved? (We wouldn't like to have flat tyres and not be able to get back to our ship on time.)
      2. Would you reccommend we drive ourselves? If yes, is there a car rental service we could book from?
      3. Or would it be better to hire a taxi? If yes, and taxi company name? Any idea of costs?
      5/ ANy other idea of what to do in the area?
      Thank you.
      Bilha

more
    • Kalina85's Profile Photo

Lauca - how to get around?

Putre Jul 1, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Hello!

I am going to visit Arica and from there I am planning to go to Putre and Lauca National Park. I would like to ask for recommendation as to how to move around the park, I understand that it covers quite a decent area (too large to see it all on foot in one day) and that is why I am wondering whether to a). rent a car and move around on my own, b). take an organized tour from Arica to Lauca, c). try to wait and see whether I can get some organized tour from the hotel in Putre where I will be staying. Can I ask anyone who has already been there to recommend what is the best option? I should add that I will be a solo traveller and that makes a thing a little bit more complicated....

more

Best Hostel Santiago

Santiago Jun 20, 2014 at 7:29 AM

What is a good hostel to stay at in Santiago? Is there something other than hostel that is better? Looking for something on the less expensive side

more
    • Glaciers Patagonia

Chile Yesterday

We are travelling to Chile and Argentina in October 2014 and would like to see the glaciers in the Patagonia area. There seems to be two locations where one can see this - San Rafael in Chile and Perito Moreno in Argentina. We only want to see one of these. Where are the glaciers a) more spectacular and b) most accessible?

more

Popular Región de Antofagasta Travel Answer Locations

• Buses from Salta to San Pedro

San Pedro de Atacama Apr 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Are there any comfortable air conditioned buses with leg room travelling from Salta to San Pedro? I know there is 1 restroom on the bus, but do they make frequent stops to stretch your legs and stop for a bite to eat and use their restrooms? It looks like it take 12- 14 hours? How much do the buses cost and which one would you recommend? Thanks.

Larra

4 Answers Apr 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    • Self-Drive to Uyuni?

San Pedro de Atacama Mar 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Hi, my friend and I will be in San Pedro de Atacama for only four days. We would like to make a trip to the Salar de Uyuni and to stay in the Palacio de Sal, but we don't have time to take the usual 3 day tour. We will have a rental car while in Atacama. Is it possible for us to drive ourselves to the Salar de Uyuni from San Pedro or Calama? (Assuming we can sort out the legal details with the rental company.) Meaning can the drive be reasonably done in one day and back the next day? Are the roads relatively passable? If we don't have a satellite phone, are we likely to die a slow and painful death?

4 Answers Apr 1, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    • Traveling with a dog

San Pedro de Atacama Mar 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM

We are driving from santiago chile to lima Peru with our dog and are planning on stopping to check out the atacama desert for several days. Any recomendations for pet friendly places to stay? Also would love any other tips for self guided sight seeing. Thanks :)

1 Answer Mar 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    • Want a indian sari

Antofagasta Jan 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I want to bye a indian sari,,,, is it avilable in Antofagasta

1 Answer Feb 6, 2014 at 11:37 PM
    • Geothermal

Región de Antofagasta Dec 29, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Whats the underground temperature in this area near San Pedro de Atacama?
      Is it too hot?

4 Answers Dec 29, 2013 at 4:54 AM
    • Campsites/Surfing

Antofagasta Nov 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I am going to be in Antofogasta for 3 days in a few weeks to surf and wondering if there are any secure campsites near Universidad de Antofogasta?

• bus schedule san pedro de atacama to arica

San Pedro de Atacama Oct 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM

How can I buy a bus ticket in advance from San Pedro de Atacama to arica and then to Tacna,
      and what are the bus companies and schedules?
      I need to get a 7:45am flight from Tacna to Cuzco.
      Tank you in advance!!!

5 Answers Oct 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    • Bus from Santa Cruz to San Pedro

San Pedro de Atacama Sep 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Is there a way to get from Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile by bus? What's the best option?

1 Answer Sep 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    • getting from san pedro de atacama to buenos aires

San Pedro de Atacama Aug 14, 2013 at 8:01 AM

hello everyone,
      can someone tell me how to get from san pedro de atacama to buenos aires the fastest way? i am planning to arrive in buenos aires around the 20th of september. are there direct buses?
      thank you very much for your help,
      nina

4 Answers Aug 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    • Traveling to chile

San Pedro de Atacama Jun 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Anyone travelling to San de Pedro atamaca this week? With a spare seat?

• Round trip Calama to San Pedro

Calama Apr 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Anybody got best idea for this trip? i used Licancabur transfers last week Friday and was left stranded in San Pedro at 20h30 with 2 small kids and no place to stay! trip seems easy enough but need reliable company to use. They also charge 80 000 Pesos for the great service>

Cheers
      Carl

• Unique82's Profile Photo

Arica

Calama Feb 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Does anyone have info to transport to Arica from Calama, im due to arrive calama at 8pm, will i be able to get a bus to Arica around that time, if so which compnay?. Thanks.

1 Answer Feb 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    • finding couple to share private tour san pedro / salar uyuni 15/19 january

San Pedro de Atacama Jan 10, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Hi,
      My husband and I intend to go to the Salar de Uyuni, from San Pedro de Atacama, on January 15, 2013 and returning on Jan. 19. We researched several agencies that make the tours and the best ranked were the Cordillera and Ruta Verde, the latter has oxygen balloon and satellite phone in case of emergency. The cost of the trip its around US 2200 per car, that can be shared by 4. We want to know if any
      couple is interested in sharing the tour with us?
      Thank you

• Fly to Antofagasta direct from Peru instead of Santiago?

Antofagasta Jul 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I am checking out flights to Antofagasta. I am US citizen, in past I have flown from:
      Houston USA, Continental air to Panama City
      Panama City, Copa Airlines to Santiago
      Santiago, SkyAir or LANair to Antofagasta

This flight is good except I had to buy the domestic Chile flight separately.

Now I am checking flight that is purchased as one set from multiple airlines:
      Houston USA, Continental air to San Jose Costa Rica
      San Jose, LACSA to Lima Peru
      Lima, TRANS AMERICAN AIRLINES - TACA PERU to Antofagasta

I am surprised they have international flight directly to Antofagasta as it such a small airport. Is Chile immigration located in Antofagasta or do they have remote immigration office in Lima? (as odd as that sounds I have seen this type of remote immigration before)

Anyone have experience with this proposed flight plan, please let me know if you had good/bad experiences. Perhaps also a suggestion on amount of time required at each stop in case Lima or San Jose are troublesome places to connect.

Thanks,
      Jack

3 Answers Aug 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    • bajalin's Profile Photo

San Pedro to Uyuni

San Pedro de Atacama Jun 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Is this 2 night trip too arduous a trip for 2 people in their early 60s?

If I spent a few days in San Pedro taking day trips, then a train or bus to Uyuni, would I get similar experience with more comfort?

Can anyone offer guidance?

3 Answers Jun 28, 2011 at 3:56 AM
    • Visa for Bolivia

San Pedro de Atacama Dec 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM

We wish to join a tour from San Pedro to Uyuni. However, we (from Hong Kong) do not have Bolivia visa. Does anyone have experience in obtaining the visa in Calama, San Pedro or the frontier between Chile and Bolivia? Is it easy to get it? How long will it take?

By the way, one of us holds United Kingdom passport. Does the passport holder require visa to enter into Bolivia?

All advice/comment are highly appreciated in advance.

2 Answers Dec 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    • Visa to Bolivia

San Pedro de Atacama Dec 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM

We plan to join a tour from San Pedro de Atacama to Uyuni, Bolivia. However, we do not have Bolivia visa. Does any VT members know whether we can apply it in Calama or San Pedro de Atacama? Can we apply for the visa at the border between Chile and Bolivia?

• HELP: Want to go to Salar de Uyuni from San Pedro but worried about altitude sickness

San Pedro de Atacama Oct 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hi all. I'm on a trip around south america and am a bit tight for time as I need to be in Arequipe around 3rd November. Tomorrow I go to Valparaiso in Chile and then get a bus to San Pedro de Atacama. From there I would like to do the Salar de Uyuni (I dont care that it costs more) and then return to San Pedro and from there head to Arequipa.

However I found the following in this link:

lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t...

"One more tip.... on the first night we stayed in the same place as a group that was coming the opposite way from San Pedro to Uyuni. They were all suffering terribly from altitude sickness, with the vomiting and insomnia and feeling miserable. Our driver told us if you come that way you gain 2,000 metres altitude in 40minutes from San Pedro to the border so it is inevitable really. He said he would not do it that way round! Coming from Uyuni you gain 1,500m over 3 days, although you would probably still feel it if you had not already been in La Paz or Uyuni."

This has me worried. Doing the tour from Uyuni is not an option for me, considering my time restrictions. It is either from San Pedro or from nowhere.

How big a risk is it doing the tour from San Pedro? I was thinking of spending a few days in San Pedro and doing the various one day tours of the local area which are all above 4000m, and if I dont feel well during those tours then I could give Uyuni a miss. If I feel good during those tours then perhaps that means I'd be ok to do the Salar de Uyuni.

Any advice would be great. I was at 2,850 metres today near Mendoza in the Andes and I felt fine.

8 Answers Oct 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    • Getting to Uyuni after doing the Salar de Uyuni Tour and spending a few nights in San Pedro

San Pedro de Atacama Oct 19, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Hi,

I have been looking around a bit but can't find a definitive answer one way or the other. I have read that it is possible to start in Uyuni to do the 3-4 day tour and finish in San Pedro, but I'm not sure if it's possible to go back to Uyuni after spending a few nights in San Pedro directly or whether I would have to do the tour or find some other way to get back?

I really want to head to La Paz after the tour but I also want to spend a few nights in San Pedro if possible (and worthwhile). The other option I was looking at was possible heading over to Salta after San Pedro and flying from there to Santa Cruz and onto La Paz...To be honest I don't know anything about Salta and don't really know if it's a good place to see or not.

Thanks

1 Answer Oct 19, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    • Air charter for atacama salt flats

San Pedro de Atacama Jul 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I am an australian based photographer and will be in chile in September, I am looking to do some aerial photography of the atacama salt flats. anyone know where i cna hire a light aircraft in the vicinity or companies that run scenic air tours. thanks, steve

2 Answers Jul 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    • bus to Salta

San Pedro de Atacama Jun 13, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Hi !
      I'll be in San Pedro in october, then I want to go to Salta . I'd like to know if it's necessary to make a reservation for the bus. If it is,where can I do it ? It seems not to be possible on Pullman or Geminis website...
      Thank you four your answer.

1 Answer Jun 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    • Info for Calama, Chile

Calama May 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM

What is the best way to fly into Calama, Chile from JFK without going via Santiago? Can they fly into Lima, Peru and drive down? How long is the drive from Lima and is it an easy drive?

Thanks,

Sue

3 Answers May 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    • biking to ruins

San Pedro de Atacama Feb 20, 2010 at 6:57 PM

My friend and I are interested in renting bikes and heading off to Quitor and Tulor (probably on two separate days). Has anyone done this? Are they easy enough to find? How much time would you allow? We are hoping we could do each in half a day to fill the day before our Valle de La Luna tour (~3pm), and after our Tatio Geyser Tour (~1pm). Does this seem possible?

2 Answers Aug 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    • tour companies

San Pedro de Atacama Feb 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with specific tour companies in San Pedro de Atacama? I am interested in doing the typical Tatio Geyser tour, Valle de la Luna sunset tour, and Altiplano Lagoons tour. I want a company that speaks English, is knowledgeable, and gives us plenty of time to walk around, rather than spending most of the trip being carted around in a van. I've been trying to book with Cosmo Andino for the last two weeks, but they haven't responded to my emails. So, I'm trying out Cactus tours, Desert Adventures, Vulcano Expediciones, and Atacama Connections. Any tips would be appreciated.

2 Answers Mar 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    • Transportation from Puno ( Peru) to Calama

Calama Nov 24, 2009 at 6:52 PM

From Puno, what is the most time efficient way to get to calama? I can't pass Bolivia ( can't get a visa). Can I fly/take bus? Is there any tour of calama that originates from Peru side? Thanks!

1 Answer Nov 26, 2009 at 4:13 AM
    • How to come back to San Pedro from Uyuni quickly after the 3 days salar tour?

San Pedro de Atacama Nov 4, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Hi,
      My girl friend and I will be in Santiago mid December and would like to do the 3days/2nights Salar de Uyuni tour starting from Uyuni and ending in San Pedro.

The problem is that we only have 5 days starting from / coming back to Santiago (we have to be back in Santiago for a wedding). Is it feasible?
      The main question is how to get to the start of the tour in Uyuni quickly enough from Santiago. Our current best guess is to fly to Calama and find a 1 day transport to Uyuni from there but I can’t see any (the only transport I found so far is the 3 days San pedro to Uyuni tour…). Any suggestion?

Alternatively we could start the tour from San Pedro but then would have to find a quick (1 day max) and reliable transport to come back from Uyuni to San Pedro. Suggestions most welcome here again.

Also do we have to book these tours in advance in that period (mid december) to make sure we get one when we arrive (we would like to join a 6 people tour… private tours are just too expensive)… given our time constraint, we can’t really wait for a few days...

Thanks a lot for your help
      Fab

3 Answers Nov 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    • Geoglyphs

San Pedro de Atacama Jul 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Will I be able to take a tour from San Pedro to see geoglyphs?

Karen

1 Answer Jul 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    • Travel from San Pedro to Salta

San Pedro de Atacama May 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Can anyone recommend a good bus company from San Pedro to Salta and do you know how frequent they are?

2 Answers May 25, 2008 at 6:33 AM
    • Yasuo-ms's Profile Photo

Has anybody worked with Atacama Spirit agency?

San Pedro de Atacama Jan 19, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Hi, I have been speaking with Atacama Spirit for Hotel and Tour reservations (including 3 day overland trip to Uyuni). I wanted to know if anywone has had experience with this agency and if they are reliable.

Thankyou in advance, John

• shopping in Antofagasto

Antofagasta Jan 2, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Is it possible to order items from Ripley's in Antofagasto, we visited 2 years ago and we were extreamly satisfied with the quality of the cloths!
      Holly Sweetin

1 Answer Jan 3, 2008 at 4:01 AM