Região Autónoma da Madeira

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Tavira v Ferragudo v Albufeira

Tavira Sep 10, 2015 at 1:40 AM

we stayed in Ferragudo August 2015 and found it charming with some very good quality restaurants

but found it a little too quiet for our 3 teenage children

Albufeira the year before but found that too touristy and loud in places
      Hoping that tavira is somewhere in the miiddle
      Any opinions really appreciated

• Any tips for visiting Porto and exploring the Douro please?

Porto Sep 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM

Does anyone have advice for us, a couple, exploring the Porto/Douro area for the first time?

• buying cider

Carvoeiro Oct 5, 2015 at 6:28 AM

can someone tell us if there is a supermarket like aldi or lidl to buy bottles of cider as we were there last month and the cider was very expensive as they didn't sell the 2 litre bottle like they do here thanks

• connections between Boston to Lisbon( beginning of May 2016)

Lisbon Sep 29, 2015 at 5:26 PM

American flies thru Philadelphia. United flies thru Newark
      I have always flown through international airports, and never connected in the states.
      1. Which airport is easier to navigate?
      2. Does my luggage check through, or do I need to retrieve it after the 1st flight and then check it to the 2nd leg?
      3. Is 2 hours enough to connect thru both these airports? or should I aim for 3 hours to be safe?
      4. Any pros/cons to either airport/airlines re: being on time. or whatever.

• Tickled_Pink's Profile Photo

Lisbon 5 to 6 days what are the must sees in and around?

Lisbon Sep 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM

We will be arriving mid morning Lisbon mid November and will have 5 1/2 days further to explore.
      Please provide a guide to pack the most in our short stay.

1) What are must sees in the city itself?
      2) What destinations outside the city are must visits and how long do we require in each?
      3) Do you recommend staying the night at any of these outlying areas?
      4) Any other tips you can offer

Thank You

• Buses between Calheta and Funchal

Calheta Aug 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM

Are there buses between Calheta and Funchal? Is it easier to stay in Funchal?

2 Answers Aug 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM
    • Monte Tropical Garden or/and Botanical Garden in Funchal ?

Região Autónoma da Madeira Jun 22, 2015 at 5:28 AM

I'll write my questions below, to be more organized, I know I do ask a lot :)

1. Can you please help me decide which one to visit? I'm not sure if I have the time for both of them.
      2. But if I do have the time, which one to visit first?
      3. Is there a logical and more efficient way to visit both gardens? I read that for Monte I should go up with the cable car and then if I choose a toboggan ride on my way down how do I get to the Botanical Garden again from the end of the toboggan ride?
      4. If I visit them both, do I still have time for other activities in the city, like visiting the marina, wandering in the old town etc?

Many thanks,

2 Answers Jun 23, 2015 at 2:53 AM
    • What tours and levadas should I take?

Região Autónoma da Madeira May 27, 2015 at 4:21 AM

I'm spending my summer holiday in Madeira, between 25th of August-01st of September. I read about the tours and levadas and I would like you to give some advice: is it ok/ worth it to make all the full day tours (East, West, North, West)? And what half day levadas would you recommend? Not interested in being an easy path but a beautiful one.

Many thanks,

1 Answer May 28, 2015 at 1:04 AM
    • What to pack apart from boots and waterproofs!

Funchal Feb 22, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Apologies if I am duplicating the question - had trouble registering. Arriving Funchal 25th Feb. and forecast not good. Should we pack jeans and jumpers or lightweight trousers and tee shirts? Not much space in Easyjet hand luggage with husband's size 12 trainers. Dress/skirt for evening hotel dinner? Any advice much appreciated.

4 Answers Feb 24, 2015 at 2:35 AM
    • OAPDave's Profile Photo

Transport public or car hire

Porto Moniz Feb 3, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Hello, I'm staying in Funchai and would like to know if I can get to Porto Moniz on public transport or do I need to hire a car. I believe there is a nice restaurant facing the sea there, but I do not know it's name.

2 Answers Feb 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM
    • OAPDave's Profile Photo

Things to do

Funchal Feb 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Hello, I'm staying in Funchai for a week in February when the carnival is on. Can anyone tell me the best places to see it and what I should do as while I'm there.

4 Answers Feb 10, 2015 at 6:55 AM
    • chrisdScotland's Profile Photo

Funchal theatre performances

Funchal Jan 28, 2015 at 1:18 AM

Can anyone tell me what will be 'playing' at the Teatro Municipal Baltazar Dias, in Funchal, 14th - 21st March I have tried to google the theatre with no success.

1 Answer Jan 30, 2015 at 3:25 AM
    • chrisdScotland's Profile Photo

Madeira Island Open Golf

Funchal Jan 6, 2015 at 12:29 AM

Does anyone know if there should be buses running from Funchal to Clube de Golf du Santo da Serra, 19th - 22nd March, for the Golf Open?

1 Answer Jan 6, 2015 at 2:31 AM
    • Local lace

Madeira Island Dec 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM

What are the best places to purchase lace items on Madeira?

2 Answers Dec 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM
    • Children of the wheel

Câmara de Lobos Oct 14, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I have been told that many years ago (1800s), unwanted children were left at the hospital/convents in Camara de Lobos and often got the last name of 'de Camara'. How can I verify this? I have several people in my lineage from Camara de Lobos, Madeira with this last name who also have 1 parent or none listed on their baptism certificates.

3 Answers Nov 9, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    • Taboggan run

Funchal Sep 4, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Does anyone know the name of the street where the taboggan run finishes please

4 Answers Sep 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    • tipping in madeira

Madeira Island Jul 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM

What is the norm for tipping in madeira? Taxis, waiters etc

5 Answers Jul 25, 2014 at 1:19 AM
    • How to Pronounce It!

Funchal Jul 23, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Basic question, please: How is "Funchal" pronounced by its residents? Is it more like "fun" or "foon"?

2 Answers Jul 23, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    • Walks with small children

Funchal Jul 2, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Hello !
      We are a couple with a 1 year old + 4 years old children.
      Will it possible to have nice walks (levadas or others) around Funchal with them (the smaller on my husband's back in an ergobaby carrier) ?
      Many thanks for your answer :)

3 Answers Jul 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    • Traveling to Madeira

Madeira Island May 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I need some tips on which Island in Madeira has the best of everything and also the weather in Oct.

2 Answers May 27, 2014 at 2:41 AM
    • onslayer's Profile Photo

Funchal holidays in May 2014

Madeira Island May 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Hi, everyone! I'm planning to go to Madeira Funchal on the 19th of May. I'm going on my own so would like to know if anyone else is about to relax on that beautiful island in May to find friends to spend time with? And in which hotel are u about to stay, please? :)

• Day Trips from Funchal

Madeira Island Apr 3, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Hi I'm staying in Funchal and would like to know where is the best part of the Island to visit ie North, South, East or West Thanks

8 Answers Apr 5, 2014 at 3:08 AM
    • Car or scooter?

Madeira Island Mar 18, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Hi me and my partner have hired a scooter or a car most times we go abroad. We are travelling to Madeira in August and wondered which you recommend? We like the ease of parking a scooter. I realise it's a very hilly place however!

Your advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

4 Answers Mar 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    • Hotel restaurant meal prices

Madeira Island Feb 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Prices of meals in all the restaurants in the Pestana hotels, please.

It has been suggested we should consider these hotels for when we go to Madeira but I have not been able to access this information on the internet. Is there a good site for this?

3 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 12:57 AM
    • Travelling around by bus

Madeira Island Dec 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Hi - I'm coming to beautiful Madeira end of this month and staying in Jardim do Mar. I've found out there are buses from there to Calheta - are there many buses from Calheta to take to visit other parts of the island?

Apart from a couple of organised trips - I'm planning just to relax and see where I end up!

Any bus advice would be great. Thanks :)

4 Answers Dec 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM
    • Saravr's Profile Photo

Knitting yarn

Madeira Island Dec 10, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Here on holiday, and forgotten to bring my knitting! Where can I buy wool yarn and a set of needles?!!!!

2 Answers Dec 11, 2013 at 4:07 AM
    • Admission/phone number for Torre de Belem, Mindelo

São Vicente Dec 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Wondering if anyone knows how much it costs to tour Torre de Belem, what the hours are, phone number, etc.

3 Answers Dec 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    • Esther from israel

Madeira Island Nov 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Hallo I am from Tel Aviv.I would like to know where about to stay its our first time in Madeira? How is the weather in December?
      Esther Levin

5 Answers Nov 19, 2013 at 3:35 AM
    • restaurants new years eve

Funchal Nov 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We are visiting Funchal over the Christmas period arriving on 27th Dec. Is it necessary to book a restaurant for New Years Eve in advance? Can anyone recommend any?

3 Answers Nov 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    • Where to buy hiking shoes?

Funchal Oct 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

My hiking shoes are broken.
      Where can I buy hiking shoes close to Santana or Funchal?

• Weather in late October / early November

Madeira Island Sep 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Hi, we are thinking of going to Madeira later next month / beginning of November -please could someone advise us on the weather situation around then? We've read that the rainfall in November increases, but by how much? Also we will taking our three year old so if anyone has any recommendations of a good family friendly hotel we would be grateful for any information.

Thank you

5 Answers Nov 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    • Steam locomotive in Funchal

Madeira Island Sep 28, 2013 at 3:06 AM

In about 1980 I was in Funchal. Not far from the port, I came across a huge old steam locomotive, painted and polished, standing on a section of rail in a garden. I have not been able to find a trace of this locomotive since. Did I dream it ? Help. Keith Woods, London.

2 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    • Cristo Rei at Paul do Serra

Madeira Island Sep 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

What is the history of the Cristo Rei statue and the other monuments at Paul do Serra?
      Why is there a small statue of the loaves and fishes.

Thank you
      Bridget Lowery

4 Answers Sep 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    • permission to visit Salvagem grande

Região Autónoma da Madeira Sep 3, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Dear sir,
      Could you give me the contact details to visit the salvagems grande by private yacht, leaving from Lanzaroti.
      best regards
      chris painting

1 Answer Sep 3, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    • music with some dancing for the over 40's

Funchal Sep 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I am visiting Madeira with my partner in October for 2 weeks and we are looking for somewhere to go with live music where you can dance as well if you would like. We are in our 40's