Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• tipping in madeira

Madeira Island Jul 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM

What is the norm for tipping in madeira? Taxis, waiters etc

5 Answers Jul 25, 2014 at 1:19 AM
    • How to Pronounce It!

Funchal Jul 23, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Basic question, please: How is "Funchal" pronounced by its residents? Is it more like "fun" or "foon"?

2 Answers Jul 23, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    • Walks with small children

Funchal Jul 2, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Hello !
      We are a couple with a 1 year old + 4 years old children.
      Will it possible to have nice walks (levadas or others) around Funchal with them (the smaller on my husband's back in an ergobaby carrier) ?
      Many thanks for your answer :)
      Elsa

3 Answers Jul 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM
    • Traveling to Madeira

Madeira Island May 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hi;
      I need some tips on which Island in Madeira has the best of everything and also the weather in Oct.
      Thanks

2 Answers May 27, 2014 at 2:41 AM
    • onslayer's Profile Photo

Funchal holidays in May 2014

Madeira Island May 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Hi, everyone! I'm planning to go to Madeira Funchal on the 19th of May. I'm going on my own so would like to know if anyone else is about to relax on that beautiful island in May to find friends to spend time with? And in which hotel are u about to stay, please? :)

• Day Trips from Funchal

Madeira Island Apr 3, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Hi I'm staying in Funchal and would like to know where is the best part of the Island to visit ie North, South, East or West Thanks

8 Answers Apr 5, 2014 at 3:08 AM
    • Car or scooter?

Madeira Island Mar 18, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Hi me and my partner have hired a scooter or a car most times we go abroad. We are travelling to Madeira in August and wondered which you recommend? We like the ease of parking a scooter. I realise it's a very hilly place however!

Your advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Louise

4 Answers Mar 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    • Hotel restaurant meal prices

Madeira Island Feb 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Prices of meals in all the restaurants in the Pestana hotels, please.

It has been suggested we should consider these hotels for when we go to Madeira but I have not been able to access this information on the internet. Is there a good site for this?

3 Answers Feb 7, 2014 at 12:57 AM
    • Travelling around by bus

Madeira Island Dec 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Hi - I'm coming to beautiful Madeira end of this month and staying in Jardim do Mar. I've found out there are buses from there to Calheta - are there many buses from Calheta to take to visit other parts of the island?

Apart from a couple of organised trips - I'm planning just to relax and see where I end up!

Any bus advice would be great. Thanks :)

4 Answers Dec 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM
    • Saravr's Profile Photo

Knitting yarn

Madeira Island Dec 10, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Here on holiday, and forgotten to bring my knitting! Where can I buy wool yarn and a set of needles?!!!!

2 Answers Dec 11, 2013 at 4:07 AM
    • Admission/phone number for Torre de Belem, Mindelo

São Vicente Dec 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Wondering if anyone knows how much it costs to tour Torre de Belem, what the hours are, phone number, etc.

3 Answers Dec 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    • Esther from israel

Madeira Island Nov 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Hallo I am from Tel Aviv.I would like to know where about to stay its our first time in Madeira? How is the weather in December?
      thanks
      Esther Levin

5 Answers Nov 19, 2013 at 3:35 AM
    • restaurants new years eve

Funchal Nov 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

We are visiting Funchal over the Christmas period arriving on 27th Dec. Is it necessary to book a restaurant for New Years Eve in advance? Can anyone recommend any?

3 Answers Nov 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    • Where to buy hiking shoes?

Funchal Oct 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Hallo,
      My hiking shoes are broken.
      Where can I buy hiking shoes close to Santana or Funchal?

Thanks
      Wolfgang

• Weather in late October / early November

Madeira Island Sep 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Hi, we are thinking of going to Madeira later next month / beginning of November -please could someone advise us on the weather situation around then? We've read that the rainfall in November increases, but by how much? Also we will taking our three year old so if anyone has any recommendations of a good family friendly hotel we would be grateful for any information.

Thank you

Claire

5 Answers Nov 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    • Steam locomotive in Funchal

Madeira Island Sep 28, 2013 at 3:06 AM

In about 1980 I was in Funchal. Not far from the port, I came across a huge old steam locomotive, painted and polished, standing on a section of rail in a garden. I have not been able to find a trace of this locomotive since. Did I dream it ? Help. Keith Woods, London.

2 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    • Cristo Rei at Paul do Serra

Madeira Island Sep 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

What is the history of the Cristo Rei statue and the other monuments at Paul do Serra?
      Why is there a small statue of the loaves and fishes.

Thank you
      Bridget Lowery

4 Answers Sep 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    • permission to visit Salvagem grande

Região Autónoma da Madeira Sep 3, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Dear sir,
      Could you give me the contact details to visit the salvagems grande by private yacht, leaving from Lanzaroti.
      best regards
      chris painting

1 Answer Sep 3, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    • music with some dancing for the over 40's

Funchal Sep 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I am visiting Madeira with my partner in October for 2 weeks and we are looking for somewhere to go with live music where you can dance as well if you would like. We are in our 40's

• Buses schedule and routes

Madeira Island Aug 28, 2013 at 5:16 AM

Hello,

Can you please help me consulting on the buses routes and schedules (or maybe taxi fares) on Madeira? I will be travelling to the island in September. I am travelling with my fiancee on a romantic trip and we would like to visit a few gorgeous places.

These are the Jesus Christ statue, the Cabo Girao cliff, the Ponta do Pargo lighthouse and a ride on the Cable car with visiting the Tropcial garden. Our driving experience is less than 1 year, so we are unable to rent a car.

Could you please help me and explain how can we get from our hotel to the desirable places? We have booked Vidamar Resorts hotel on Estrada Monumental.

First we would like to go to see the Jesus Christ statue, then get to the Cable Car and see the famous Garden there. After that we would love to visit one of the europe's highest cliff - Cabo Girao. And last but not least, we want to see the Ponta do Pargo lighthouse, have a meal there and then return to the hotel on Estrada Monumental in Funchal.

I appreciate your help!

4 Answers Aug 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    • rl1steve's Profile Photo

Porto Santa Maria Hotel

Funchal Aug 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Can anyone give me an update on the works in front of this hotel please?
      There are conflicting reports on the disruption caused.
      We are staying at this hotel on 9th September this year.
      Thank you in advance
      Steve

• Query about the four views hotel in Funchal

Madeira Island Aug 10, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Hi

Myself and a friend were thinking of booking a holiday at your hotel through Thomsons Travel Agent on the 3rd March 2014.

On the reviews it quotes that your hotel will be closed due to refurbishment.

Please can you tell me if this is the case because all the travel agents are not telling customers.

Can you also recommend any other hotel which is suitable for senior citizens.

2 Answers Aug 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    • Dangerous landing?

Madeira Island Aug 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I am scared of flying and Madeira is known for its dangerous airport.
      Have you ever experienced a difficult landing in August? Should I be worried? My parents are also scared, they suggested I should cancel the trip. :((

20 Answers Aug 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    • about heating

Funchal Jul 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM

If we need to heat the apartment in winter

2 Answers Jul 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    • One day visit

Funchal Jul 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

As I only have one day here, is there a small train or tourist bus that goes around the city to see the highlights. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks Lois

3 Answers Jul 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    • Transport from airport to hotel

Porto Santo Island Jun 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM

We are a family of 5 arriving independently at Poarot Santo the airport 3rd July and are interested to know the travel options for getting to pestana hotel and the prices Is there a bus or coach option?

• Paulaaa's Profile Photo

Pico do Areeiro

Madeira Island Jun 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Hi All :)

I am going to visit Madeira soon and unfortunately I can not rent a car.
      Is it possible to get to Pico do Areeiro from Funchal by bus? If not maybe there is a bus stop nearby?

Best regards
      Paulina

10 Answers Jun 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    • rl1steve's Profile Photo

Hotel Porto Santa Maria

Funchal May 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM

We are traveling to Funchal in September and staying at the Porto Santa Maria. I have heard mixed reports on the work been carried out on the sea front. Can any VT living there give me an update? Many thanks, Steve

16 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 4:55 AM
    • jacksoj1's Profile Photo

Christmas

Madeira Island May 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Can you tell me what it is like over Christmas and New Year please. Are the shops/bars/restaurants open on Christmas, Boxing and New Years Day?

8 Answers May 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    • PolinaS's Profile Photo

From airport to a hotel in the evening/night time

Madeira Island Apr 24, 2013 at 3:50 AM

I'm trying to book a flight from Lisbon to Funchal with suitable time of landing and I have two options for flights: TAP which lands in Funchal at 00:55 or EasyJet - lands at 20:40. But in first case (with TAP) I miss bus and aerobus to Funchal from airport, and in the second case I have a very little chance to get last aerobus at 21:15 (anam.pt/aero-bus-madeira-en-.... Usually, how long time it takes to get luggage of EasyJet Flights? And if I still miss all buses, what is appoximate price for a taxi to get Funchal in the night time?

10 Answers Oct 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM