Regensburg Travel Answers

change location

2 days in Regensburg and 1 day in Würzburg or vice versa?

by ruben__ariel Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 9:12 AM

I'll be in Bavaria next September visiting Bamberg, Füssen, Würzburg, and Regensburg. I have 3 days to split between Regensburg and Würzburg. Which one do you think it's easier to visit in 1 day? Which one would require more time to walk around, visit museums, churches, palaces, cafes, etc?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Redang's Profile Photo

Re: 2 days in Regensburg and 1 day in Würzburg or vice versa?

by Redang Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM

What about Nurnberg?, so: One-one-one

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Yes, agree with Redang. One day Wurzburg, one day Regensburg, one day Nurnberg (or Bamberg, or Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber).

You need more than one day for all of these (all included in my German trip a couple of years ago, so feel free to have a look at my VT pages)....but as you won't really have enough time for any of them I'd suggest 3 days and 3 places. All can be seen well enough in one day, and railway access for all is excellent.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I agree with Redang - a day each - Ive done these towns myself driving between - all lovely - I did really enjoy Nurenberg - also Dinklsbuhl and Rothenburg

• Re: 2 days in Regensburg and 1 day in Würzburg or vice versa?

by ruben__ariel Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Thanks everybody. Nürnberg looks great, but I'll be doing many one-day stops during this trip and I'm afraid I'll get tired at some point. So I'd like to be an extra day in Würzburg or Regensburg because these are the places that I like most based on the pictures and info I got. On the one hand, Regensburg seems to be more enjoyable to stroll. It has a beautiful architecture and It's been well preserved. Building facades look nicer than in Würzburg, where WWII bombing destroyed old town. On the other hand, Würzburg's attractions seem to be more spread out, with the Residence and the Fortress in both end of the city. To climb to the top of the fortress alone maybe would take an hour (I'd like to do this hiking, relaxed and enjoying the sightseeing). That's the dilemma I'm trying to figure out.
    Luckily, in this forum there are people who has traveled a lot and are willing to help you ;=)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 21, 2011 at 10:15 PM

You are absolutely correct with your comments about Wurzburg and Regensburg, and I understand entirely why you want to stick to those two.

Both places are very wander-able but Wurzburg seemed to me 'greener' and also offers the chance for a wander 'in the countryside' (accessible on foot from the town centre) along its 'stein-wein-pfad'. I didn't manage to do this when I stayed there (I was doing daytrips using W as a base) but it did very much appeal to me.

You can download a pdf map/info leaflet of the stein-wein-pfad route (in German) here:

uploader.wuerzburg.de/stein-...

So imo it should be Wurzburg for the longer stay.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 1:15 AM

There are reasons to do it this way or the other, two days here or there.

As I do not know what you are interested in, let me just suggest one somehow hugely interesting place near Regensburg, just 10 km from the city. It is the Walhalla, the most important of all works commissioned by King Ludwig l of Bavaria.

It is easy to reach by car and bus, and you can even take the boat at Old Stone Bridge in Regensburg (two departures daily). It is quite nice to cruise on the Danube, and it would be rather a relaxing trip after the lot of walking you intend to do. Walhalla is sitting high above the river, so quite a great location.

However, Würzburg's surroundings are also great, with vineyards everywhere.

Despite the climb to the fortress (I would say it rather takes half an hour and not an hour) Würzburg can easily be visited in a day.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Link

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Sorry, forgot to add the Walhalla link:

walhalla-regensburg.de/engli...

• Re: 2 days in Regensburg and 1 day in Würzburg or vice versa?

by ruben__ariel Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM

The stein-wein-pfad route and the Walhalla are two very interesting options. So now I'll do my homework looking thoroughly websites and maps to make up my mind. Thank you both of you for your help.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines