Redwood National Park Travel Answers

change location

Are the Redwoods worth the drive????

by VacationNeeded Online Now Jul 25, 2004 at 3:19 PM

My husband and I are going to be in San Francisco and thought we would take a 2 days to drive to the Redwood National Park and then 1 day in Lassen Volcanic National Park before returning to Utah. It looks like a long trip and I was wondering if it would be worth the drive. I guess my questions are: 1) How long does it take to get to the Redwoods from San Francisco on HWY 1 or 101; 2) is it worth it; and 3) how many days should we stay in the Redwoods in order to feel like we've seen it? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pedersdottir's Profile Photo

Re: Are the Redwoods worth the drive????

by pedersdottir Online Now Jul 25, 2004 at 6:35 PM

Hello: Muir Woods is a redwood forest about a half-hour's drive north of San Fran- across the Golden Gate bridge and up into Marin County. It's a fine drive - and the woods have a quality I can only describe as being 'ethereal'. Definitely worth the visit!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • haysnoe's Profile Photo

RE: Are the Redwoods worth the drive????

by haysnoe Online Now Oct 7, 2006 at 8:41 PM

Redwoods National Park is unquestionably worth a visit. With your time constraints, however, I would follw the advice in the other reply and visit either Muir Woods, just north of SF, or Big Basin State Park, about 1.5 hour south.

First of all, the drive to RNP from SF is long and eventually winding and will take at least six hours. The national and state parks are worth a week for the leisurely, but I would think you'd get a good taste in two days to feel like you've "seen" it.

Further, the drive from Redwood to Mt. Lassen would be grueling and would take at least 5 hours if not more. The more-direct route, over the coastal mountains, is not a high-speed road, very winding. The faster route, through Grants Pass, OR, is a long drive. Either, way, it'd be a full day of taxing driving just to get to Lassen from Redwood.

Frankly, considering you have three days to get from SF to a point to return to Utah and are considering these two National Parks, I would recommend just visiting Lassen. It's really cool in its own right and is easily worth a minimum of two days. Plus, it'll be deserted at this time of year. Any time after Sept. 1 and Lassen is all yours.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines