Recife Travel Answers

change location

Travel in June

by verrowe Online Now Apr 14, 2006 at 8:20 AM

My husband and I are travelling to Recife on 1st June. We intend to spend about a week in recife before moving on to Joao Pessoa for a few days and then Natal for a few more days before returning to Recife on the 20th to fly home. We are considering buying a property in one of these areas or possibly in a village or town nearby. We would like to know which areas to avoid, which are good areas and can anyone recommend a good agent.
We hope to hire a car. we are English but have lived in Spain for three years where the standard of driving is attrocious so are used to unpredictable driving. Is Brazilian driving worse? Can anyone recommend a cheap hotel in any of these towns or areas. Also some advice on what to do in these areas while we are there would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • robine's Profile Photo

RE: Travel in June

by robine Online Now Apr 14, 2006 at 9:10 AM

I'm afraid that I can only answer one of your questions - yes, standards of driving ARE worse, totally undisciplined, and most roads aren't up to much, either!

And one other warning. Don't get me wrong, I adore Brazil (and intend to retire there myself), but the bureaucracy involved in buying a property (or even opening a bank account) is HORRENDOUS!

Good luck! Robin

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Travel in June

by Tommy23 Online Now May 9, 2006 at 5:49 PM

Beware of buying property in isolated areas - you may have a rather large security issue.

There are many good old fashioned, honest agents, who will help you buy a property - but the process is a drawn-out affair....but if your determined enough you will get there in the end! Do ensure that you deal with a trusted agent though - there will be plenty of dishonest people willing to take gringo money - without providing you with a good service.

Whenever you part with cash...ALWAYS obtain signed reciepts, and keep them safe.....Brazil wouldnt be able to function without proof of this and proof of that.......lol

Brazilian driving is in fact good - if your Brazilian...it will take some getting used to though....roads are good in the city - however, when you hit the rural areas and cuty limits , you may lose your car in a pothole - so be careful....

Here is the official Recife Govt Site... http://www.recife.pe.gov.br
    And Olinda: olinda.pe.gov.br/portal/inde...

Good luck...

I'm afraid that I can only answer one of your questions - yes, standards of driving ARE worse, totally undisciplined, and most roads aren't up to much, either!

And one other warning. Don't get me wrong, I adore Brazil (and intend to retire there myself), but the bureaucracy involved in buying a property (or even opening a bank account) is HORRENDOUS!

Good luck! Robin

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines