Recife Travel Answers

change location

needing a international driving licence?

by katiaofantwerp Online Now Mar 18, 2006 at 7:51 AM

At the end of may we're driving from recife to salvador.Do we need a international driving licence? (we already have a european driving licence). In my guide they you need i for some states,but don't indicate wich state.Any suggestions?

thanks
katia

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: needing a international driving licence?

by skadhauge Online Now Mar 26, 2006 at 8:16 AM

I agree with both of the answers above. Really most people here don't know the
    rules for foreigns drivers. Some foreigns friends of mine rented a car here in
    Sao Paulo, and the renting agency seem confused (or even worried) about the fact that they presented two driving licens (the original and the international). However, the officail rules are that foreign drivers need to have an international drivers license - and if the text is not presented in portuguese an official translation is required as well. Eg. the danish int. license is only writting in spanish and therefore OFFICIALLY not valid without an translation. THAT BEING SAID if you present an international license no police men will complain (they do understand written spanish and for sure they don't know the offical rules). I myself have never had problems when stopped by the police and presenting my int. license. And for sure you get stopped offen here compared to
    europe.

cheers, Sol

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines