Recife Travel Answers

change location

SAFETY in Recife BUSES

by Alvorada Online Now Mar 18, 2006 at 7:15 AM

Hi everyone!
Could you tell me how safe it is to travekl by bus during the day?
I am planning on volunteering in Recife or Olinda in the summer and i will have to take the bus alone in the day. I own no expensive clothing, jewelery, etc.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • kunkas's Profile Photo

RE: SAFETY in Recife BUSES

by kunkas Online Now May 7, 2006 at 7:38 PM

Hey mate, I live in Recife for 10 years now,
    buses here ain´t cool, and can be quite unsafe. The thing is if you look like a foreigner here without speaking than there are more chances of bad encounter. If so, consider going with someone. Buses at night are a no-no also.
    I´d recommend you to stay on Boa Viagem, where I live, where you have everything you need nearby. Anything more, feel free to contact me.

Greetings Bruno.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: SAFETY in Recife BUSES

by Tommy23 Online Now May 9, 2006 at 4:46 PM

I have lived in Recife for the past 5 years, and have had no problems with the public transport at all.

The buses are actually very modern, and reliable too - most inner city routes have several buses per hour - very busy routes will have a bus every 6 or 7 minutes.

Have the correct busfare ready when embarking - or at least small change in readiness to pay.

The buses are safe - do not worry...However, if you are unfamiliar with the area it may not be a good idea to take them after say; 8.30pm - taxis are the better option at night.........

But generally speaking, no worries.......Recife has a safe, excellent bus service.

Good Luck,

Tommy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines