Ravenna Travel Answers

change location

Hangout during january to march

by process Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM

hi all

I am visiting ravenna for three months on an official trip during january to march. I got to know that during this time it is peak on winter and temp. is very low. I guess in such weather condition beach is not a right place to hang out. i would like to know

1) best places to hang out on weekends during winter. I know about san vitale and other mosaics and monuments. I want to know besides these locations.
2) Is there any shopping streets ?
3) I am also willing to join any activity classes with low fees or say no fees ( :) ).

Any help will be appreciated ?
Thanks in advance...

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Hangout during january to march

by mccalpin Online Now Dec 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM

heh heh, you're right about the temps...but I am looking to see if beach volleyball has started up anyway...

If you're into classical music, there is a "Ravenna Musica 2012" series that runs with 12 events from Dec 22 to May 10 (with 7 in February and March). The programs are held in the Teatro Alighieri (which I haven't seen). The cheap seats (if they are even seats ;-) ) start at 10 euro. If you read Italian, see angelomariani.org/progr/m12/...

Well, it would be different than going to a bar ;-)

Actually, this caught my eye because initially I thought it would be in one of the churches. Since the old churches were built with acoustics in mind, musical events in them can be an experience that you don't get at home listening to your audio equipment, no matter how expensive it is...once you get there, keep an eye out for musical events in churches...

Note that the City's tourism office has an English-language version of its website at
    turismo.ravenna.it/index.php...

You will find this interest to troll through. One thing I note is the "Sea in Winter", wherein they try to get people out to the beaches to do various things. I see that the calendar is only for events in 2011, but from what I saw, there should be boat (yacht?) races in early 2012.

Also, see
    ravennaincoming.it/home.php?...
    which is the Convention and Visitors Bureau's English language website.

Note that both website have contact emails so if you have specific questions on events you see, I am sure that they speak English well enough to answer you (again, only if you don't speak Italian).

Sorry, I can't help you on the trendy areas of Ravenna - if there even are any - because I spent all my time in my several visits in those churches and whatnot that you already know about ;-)

There is a pedestrian-only zone in the center - this would be a logical area to have a shopping district - maybe you'll see a reference to it in your reading.

Also note that Ravenna is quite flat, which makes it ideal for bicycles. I see that the "C'entro in bici" is active again (kind of a pun...it literally means "I enter here on bicycles", but the way it's pronounced, it sounds like "the city center on bikes"). This program has 40 yellow bikes for tourists that you can get for free to ride around town for the day - see
    turismo.ravenna.it/contenuti...
    for a description of the program.

If you look on the previous page -
    turismo.ravenna.it/contenuti...
    you'll see a couple of places that rent bikes for a longer period, that maybe you can use over the weekend...I imagine that they would be good sources of information on possible bike tours around the area, if you're into that sort of thing.

As you can see, the official tourism website
    http://www.turismo.ravenna.it/index.php
    can be pretty useful. If it comes up in Italian when it first loads, click on "english version" on the upper right, and it should remember that from then on...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines