Ravenna Travel Answers

change location

Looking for English Speaking friends!

by eadillard Online Now Oct 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I am staying in Ravenna for a while and would love to meet some English speaking people! I'm a 25 year old woman from Michigan longing to have a nice conversation with new friends. Any suggestions on how to meet people?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • craic's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for English Speaking friends!

by craic Online Now Oct 14, 2010 at 3:26 PM

There may be a Circolo-Italo-Britannico in Ravenna or somewhere nearby. I know there are for sure in Genoa, Venice and Chiaveri.
    Some of the people who attend are Italians wanting to improve their english, but some are expats.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Oct 14, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Since you're staying there, why not talk to your landlord & get some advice about possible venues in Ravenna where you might meet English speakers (Italian or other.)
    Ask him if there's a church that is community-oriented. It could be any denomination, although a Protestant church might be frequented by English speakers living in the area.
    Become a regular at a nice café & speak with the owners, waiters, etc.

If you have a specific interest or passtime, pursue it actively there. For example, join a cooking school if only to make new friends. Join a Shakespeare Club (name invented here) to talk about Romeo and Juliet or anything else created in English.

The Youth Hostel in Ravenna was pleasant & managed by a great babbo (Hostel Dad) who knew his city & region well. Go see him, you might find something to do there that you'd like, or he might give you good clues about Ravenna.

I know it's intimidating for a newcomer. But don't waste precious time, start creating links with people now. No need to overdo it & invade anyone's space, don't become dependent. Be resourceful. A smile & a good attitude will attract people to you.

Animo! In bocca al lupo! (Cheers and Good Luck!)

• alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Oct 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM

The Circolo sounds like a good idea.

Totally forgot to mention taking an Italian language course. The University of Bologna has a campus in Ravenna. Enquire about their courses, some may be free. Pursue the language learning trail anyway you can think of, including taking a private tutor for a short while. This is bound to be an introduction to living in Ravenna.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Oct 14, 2010 at 9:35 PM

There is a British Institute in Ravenna. Get an address from the web or your local phone book and wander in. Someone might be happy to help you with Italian if you help them with English.

You could also Google ex-pats Ravenna and see if you can connect with a group that way.

Sitting in a cafe reading a blatantly English book might work too. LOL

Enjoy your time in Ravenna.

• Re: Looking for English Speaking friends!

by toni.luponi Online Now Jun 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM

If you are still in Ravenna I'd like to talk in English with you

• saidur's Profile Photo

by saidur Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 4:49 AM

hi my name is saidur.i can speak english,im new here in bologna city,i also looking english speaking friend.if you interested talk you can call my skype:saidur7011 and my mobile no: wind 3208360977,my tim no;3341447477.any time can call me

• saidur's Profile Photo

by saidur Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 4:53 AM

please can sand me address

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Dec 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Hi saidur. There are some good suggestions already posted on this thread so read through all of it. Also, this is posted on a thread that is several years old (2010) so you will get more answers if you post a new question on the Ravenna forum. This one will only go to people who have already answered. A new question will be seen by everybody.

Good luck.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines