Ravenna Travel Answers

change location

viewing mosaics

by julieo63 Online Now Nov 11, 2006 at 10:38 AM

The travel book I have been reading indicated that you have to book for Mausoleo di Galla Placidia. Also mentioned a combined ticket. We will be visiting San Vitale, Mausoleo di Galla Placidia, Sant Apollinare Nuovo and if time permits Dante's Tomb. Does anyone know the admission price for these venues? We will be there on 3/3/07 do we need to book at this time of the year?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Jetgirly's Profile Photo

RE: viewing mosaics

by Jetgirly Online Now Nov 11, 2006 at 12:08 PM

I think I went to Dante's tomb and it was just in a free courtyard open to the public. My friend TOLD me it was Dante's tomb! I trust her!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: RE: viewing mosaics

by mccalpin Online Now Nov 11, 2006 at 10:06 PM

Hmmmn, I was in Ravenna in November 2002, and there wasn't any need to book anything - I don't even think that you could if you wanted to.

As I recall (I hope I'm right), the Mausoleo di Galla Placidia is on the grounds of San Vitale, so once you buy the ticket to get in San Vitale, you can just go out the back door and go over to the Mausoleum.

There are various tickets for combinations of venues. The current tourist website for Ravenna says
    "Euro 7.50 (combined ticket including: S.Apollinare Nuovo, Neonian Baptistery, Archiepiscopal museum, San Vitale, Mausoleum of Galla Placidia)" - see turismo.ravenna.it/contenuti...

As Carly said, Dante's Tomb is down an alley and totally open to the public. I have a photo of it on my Ravenna page. Dante died in Ravenna and was buried here; his home town of Florence had exiled him under pain of death. Years later, Florence repented and actually built a tomb for Dante in Santa Croce in Florence, but that tomb remains empty because Dante is still in Ravenna. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante

Like I said, I don't know that you can book anything in advance in Ravenna (as you would for the Uffizi Gallery in Florence), and I can't imagine that you would have any need to in March in Ravenna. In November, the city was pretty empty of tourists...too bad, because it's a beautiful place...

Bill

• vysnaite's Profile Photo

RE: viewing mosaics

by vysnaite Online Now Nov 21, 2006 at 3:49 PM

If you aren't traveling with a group, then you don't need to book. ticket offices usually close at 16.45. the combined ticket costs 7.50 euro it allows you to visit Archiepiscopal chapel, San Vitale, Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, Neonian Baptistery, S.Apollinare Nuovo. Mausoleum of G.P. is in the yard of San Vitale Basilica. Entrance to Dante's Tomb is free of charge, open 9-12,14-17. Mausoleum of Theodoric (which is not worth seeing from inside, nothing much to see, from outside is quite nice) is not exactly in a center, their ticket office (single ticket) closes at 3 pm more or less. I would also reccomend seeing Archeological museum, in the center, Rocca Brancaleone (fortress) close to the train station, church of giovanni evangelista (in front of a train station, with mosaics inside, entrance is free).

You can also check Ravenna's tourism webpage turismo.ra.it/contenuti/inde...
    for monuments, museums, sightseeing, opening hours and etc.

Have a nice trip!
    Gitana

• kez943's Profile Photo

Re: viewing mosaics

by kez943 Online Now Dec 28, 2007 at 8:22 AM

You might already have this information but here it is again: Dante's Tomb is a free venue, down a side street near the Franciscan Church. The mausoleum of GaLLA Placidia, a lovely sight, is included with the admission to San Vitale. I would also recommend that you take the time to take a bus ride south about 15 minutes to Sant' Apollinare in Classe. It's stupendous. I think that San Vitale is 7.5 eu, including the mausoleum of Galla Placidia.

Ken

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines