Ras Al Khaimah Travel Answers

change location
LizzieSouthWales's Profile Photo

Need some advice before going to RAK

by LizzieSouthWales Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Hi, I have booked to go to RAK on 8th Sept till 16th Sept which I am awae of now is Ramadam (was not told by travel agent). This is not a big problem for me as I dont drink and wanted a quiet relaxing holiday anyway.

A few things I wanted to query were dress code both for me and my partner in shopping areas, on excursions, around hotel and dining areas and beach.
Also tipping, is this expected or not approved of.
We dont wish to offend people and from another forum I dont get any clear answers

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • nattybabe's Profile Photo

Re: Need some advice before going to RAK

by nattybabe Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 5:25 AM

I've just spent a weekend at the Hilton Resort & Spa in RAK. RAK itself is a very muslim emirate - it's incredible just how many mosques there are! So, cover your shoulders and knees while shopping and on tours etc. There is no need to cover your hair, just be respectful. At the beach normal beach ware is acceptable, except thong bikinis and white swimming costumes. Everything else goes. Oh of course there is no topless bathing allowed.

As far as Ramadam goes I'm not sure what the procedure will be. I'm going to Petra at that time and they have advised me that food will be available during the day. I would call your hotel to make sure. I think it will be OK to eat and drink (water etc) in the hotel grounds but not outside.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • smarty29's Profile Photo

by smarty29 Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 5:30 AM

Well RAK is not a big place and mostly local Arab population area. Markets normally open after 4pm in Ramdan and goes till late. Try to wear a head scarf if possible but not compulsory. Long skirt or Jeans with covered neck top or anything which can cover ur self properly. Same applies for ur partner. U can give tips starting from 5dhs till 20dhs depens upon the place where u r dining.

Regards

Hamed

• 37SingleMaleInDubai1's Profile Photo

by 37SingleMaleInDubai1 Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Hi there,
    Month of Ramadhan is a quiet month and fewer visitors come to U.A.E, prices are usually lowe and for sure you would have a relaxing time away from the crowd in other months.
    Safe trip.

• LizzieSouthWales's Profile Photo

by LizzieSouthWales Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Im staying at the Hilton Resort and Spa also so glad you left some feedback. Been reading some reviews on another site and the resort sounds fab, plus from everyone elses comments not so worried about having to go and buy a whole new wardrobe now.

Thank you all for your help, if I think of something else ill be sure to get in touch

by nattybabe Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM

How are you getting to the Hilton? It's pretty hard to find. Are you getting a transfer from Dubai? Or driving?

by LizzieSouthWales Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 11:35 PM

The tour operator has arranged a transfer from the airport thankfully

by nattybabe Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Have a fantastic trip! Have a look at my Hilton page on RAK for pictures if you like.

Enjoy!

by LizzieSouthWales Online Now Aug 4, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Just had a look and more I read I just cant wait to get out there. Only 5 more weeks. Villas look fab!!

• dave.richards's Profile Photo

by dave.richards Online Now Aug 6, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Parts of RAK are a little rundown and a little basic regarding housing, shops and roads. Boy racers can be a pest at times too.
    This may be off putting to some but for me it added to what is RAK and the UAE and I found it to be more traditional than rough.
    The resort area is anything but basic though. I always stay in Fujairah but visit RAK on each visit to the UAE (if only to go to the KFC there!)

by LizzieSouthWales Online Now Aug 7, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Boy Racers !!! Noooo lol I am going on holidays to get away from that for a week.

by dave.richards Online Now Aug 7, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Haha. yeh. I know Newport is prone to boy racers. The ones in RAK are similar, but drive faster and in better cars.

by LizzieSouthWales Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 2:27 AM

Well I live 20 minutes outside Newport, but is the nearest city to me. Hopefully wont see pimped up BMW's, Evo's, Subarus over there like at home and if I do least they wont be off their face and just passed their tests in cars that daddy has bought them

by dave.richards Online Now Aug 8, 2008 at 3:07 AM

4X4s, Mercs, BMWs, sports cars and a lot of them haven't got a licence or are too young, maybe only 15 or 16. All will be of Arabic or Indian extraction.
    The one good thing is that 99% of them don't drink alcohol or take drugs.
    I wouldn't worry too much though; Just avoid the Corniche road and the roads around the retail estates on Thursday and Friday (and Saturday?) nights (after 11.00pm), this is where many of them race, or at least they used to when I was in RAK the last time.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ras Al Khaimah