Rarotonga Travel Answers

change location
TravellerSteven's Profile Photo

Groceries in Titikaveka

by TravellerSteven Online Now Aug 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Hi all,

I’m going to be staying at the Royale Takitumu in Titikaveka, and was wondering if there were any decent grocercy stores in the area? If not and we had to travel to Avarua, how far away is that? Would it be best to travel there by cab or bus?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide!!!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Groceries in Titikaveka

by Kakapo2 Online Now Aug 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I have driven past the villas some weeks ago but cannot recall the very exact location. But there was not a lot of shopping in Titikaveka, only the small Kano store. The nearest other places for groceries are Wigmore's Superstore in Vaimaanga, so about 4 km west of Titikaveka, and the Muri Mart about 3 to 4 km east.

Avarua is about 13 km from Titikaveka. There are buses circling the island, some go clockwise, others counter-clockwise. The counter-clockwise would be the shorter trip from your resort. The buses go hourly during the day.

However, you might think about renting a scooter or car, as those are incredibly cheap on Rarotonga, about NZ$ 20 to 25 per day, also available in Muri. (If you rent a car or scooter for longer than a day you need a local driver's license which is available at the police station in Avarua for NZ$ 20.)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Groceries in Titikaveka

by caseythompson Online Now Jan 6, 2010 at 11:56 PM

There is a fairly new store similar to Pak n Save I think it is by the airport sorry can't remember the name. We hired a car for a few days and got all our groceries from that store. More selection than the local supermarket in the centre of town. Prices not too bad. You can drive right around the island in approx 15 mins...so nowhere is really too far. Sorry I can't remember the name but the locals/staff will be able to tell you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rarotonga