Rapid City

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Road trip for a family of five which include 3 teenagers

by LadiKnightRyder Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

My family and I are flying in to Rapid City in mid July our plans are to drive and visit the 1880's Town, Badlands, and Wall Drug then travel to Keystone where we would spend 2 nights while there we will visit the Needles, Mt. Rushmore and the Wind Cave. Travel to Sturgis visit the Motorcycle Museum, catch the Wild Bill Hickok reenactment in Deadwood, and Spearfish Canyon then stay 1 night at lodging in Deadwood. Travel to the Devil's Tower then head to the Battle of Little Big Horn in Mt., then travel to Cody, Wy where we would stay for 3 days, I'm not quite sure what there's to do in Cody for 3 days. Then head to Yellowstone for 3 days. My husband wants to stay at Yellowstone Under Canvas for the three nights, but I think that's too many nights. While in Yellowstone we would like to visit the Mud Pots, Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful and go hiking, however we never hiked before. 3 days in Jackson Hole. While in Jackson Hole we want to go whitewater rafting, visit Grand Teton, and do the Cover Dinner Wagon. My kids would like to go horseback riding, but I don't know where I should add this to the itinerary. I would like this to be a trip that my teenage childrens would remember. Is there any recommendation of things we should eliminate or add to the list of things to do and see on our trip? Also what would be best scenic route to take? Thanks

more
    • Road trip for a family of five which include 3 teenagers

by LadiKnightRyder Online Now Apr 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

My family and I are flying in to Rapid City in mid July our plans are to drive and visit the 1880's Town, Badlands, and Wall Drug then travel to Keystone where we would spend 2 nights while there we will visit the Needles, Mt. Rushmore and the Wind Cave. Travel to Sturgis visit the Motorcycle Museum, catch the Wild Bill Hickok reenactment in Deadwood, and Spearfish Canyon then stay 1 night at lodging in Deadwood. Travel to the Devil's Tower then head to the Battle of Little Big Horn in Mt., then travel to Cody, Wy where we would stay for 3 days, I'm not quite sure what there's to do in Cody for 3 days. Then head to Yellowstone for 3 days. My husband wants to stay at Yellowstone Under Canvas for the three nights, but I think that's too many nights. While in Yellowstone we would like to visit the Mud Pots, Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful and go hiking, however we never hiked before. 3 days in Jackson Hole. While in Jackson Hole we want to go whitewater rafting, visit Grand Teton, and do the Cover Dinner Wagon. My kids would like to go horseback riding, but I don't know where I should add this to the itinerary. I would like this to be a trip that my teenage childrens would remember. Is there any recommendation of things we should eliminate or add to the list of things to do and see on our trip? Also what would be best scenic route to take? Thanks

8 Answers Apr 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

How many days in Rapid City?

by roamer61 Online Now Oct 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Going to Rapid City and the Black Hills in June. Is 1 day enough for the city and its museums and other sites or should I add an extra day? I will be doing 4 tours in the area.

4 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    • roamer61's Profile Photo

Hotel Suggestions

by roamer61 Online Now Aug 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Going to do a Black Hills Trip next year (late June early July). Need ideas for accommodations. I am a single and I don't really want to spend more than $150 a night. Can anyone provide suggestions/options? A 2 or 3 star property is good with breakfast included, which is preferred.

7 Answers Aug 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    • motorcoach tour

by walenta1 Online Now Feb 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Will be bringing a motor coach tour of senior citizens to RC around the first of June. Presently planning about 3 hours at Rushmore, 3 hours at Custer State Park and 2 hours at Crazy Horse.Since I see a lot of comments that an esrly morning or late afternoon visit to Custer SP is best, could some one give me an efficient route (includind the route through Custer SP) to visit all three starting with Custer SP. Some back tracking would be OK. We will be coming from Cheyenne Blvd in RC and continuing to Deadwood.Any help with this question or any other info that would be helpful would be appreciated.

5 Answers Mar 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    • Black Hills gold

by walenta1 Online Now Sep 25, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Presently bringing a motorcoach tour to RC in the spring. had a lot of requests to shop for Black Hills gold. Probably stupid question but is there a place, with many vendors, possible snack bar etc. where the women can shop without just going to one store? Thanks

3 Answers Sep 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    • Ceekonee's Profile Photo

Rapid City and area in late Sept or October..weather?

by Ceekonee Online Now Aug 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM

We have an anniversary coming up at the end of October. My hubby has always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower. We would be renting a car. So what kind of road conditions can we expect? Would September be better? We sure don't want to drive in Ice or snow.

2 Answers Aug 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    • 3 days in Rapid City SD

by bodori Online Now Jun 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM

We will be 3 days/ 4 nights in RC SD. Looking particularly for good photo sites. Obiously Rushmore, what else is on the must see list? What is the best tour route through the area (Custer, etc)? Looks like lots of choices.

3 Answers Jun 10, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    • Transportation

by chrismagpo Online Now May 17, 2008 at 6:01 AM

My son and I will be having a vacation in Rapid City. We would like to take a trip to Hill City to catch the 1880 train but there does not seem to be any public transport to Hill City from Rapid City. We do not drive so the only way I can see to get to Hill City would be by taxi cab. Approximately how much would it cost to get a taxi cab from Rapid City to Hill City and how long would the journey take. We will catch the 1880 train from Hill City to Keystone one way and then from there we will need a taxi to the airport at Rapid City so we need to know approximate times. If anyone knows how I could do this then that would be helpful.

2 Answers Mar 23, 2010 at 1:25 AM
    • irvbur's Profile Photo

Need your help in South Dakota

by irvbur Online Now Jan 23, 2008 at 8:47 AM

We are long retired, fairly well-travelled, and are finally ready to take our long-delayed tour of the parts of the U.S. we've never visited. Part of our 8000 mile, 5-6 week trip will take us from Mt. Rushmore to Minneapolis MN. I'm familiar with VT tips as I have read & written many over the years, but I still need help in discovering interesting stops in and between these 2 cities. You can check my homepage for our preferences and/or check our posting in the United States forum for our preliminary itinerary. We will be traveling the southernmost states first.

4 Answers Feb 11, 2008 at 10:36 AM
    • Packerman's Profile Photo

Hotel suggestions

by Packerman Online Now Jun 27, 2005 at 6:41 AM

Our family will be sightseeing in this part of SD in late July. Is Rapid City the place to stay in a hotel and if you do you have any suggestions. Or should we find a hotel closer to Mt Rushmore and Custar park?

5 Answers Mar 23, 2010 at 1:40 AM
    • What is the best month of the year to visit Mount Rushmore ?

by ElsaBeauty Online Now Jun 14, 2005 at 10:13 AM

Raining season in July ? I plan to visit Radip City early July.

5 Answers Jul 2, 2006 at 9:53 AM
    • Weather for Rapid City, SD in early Sept?

by small_town_girl Online Now Jun 6, 2005 at 6:09 PM

Planning a trip to Rapid City the 1st week in September. What kind of weather & temperature should we expect?

5 Answers Mar 23, 2010 at 2:08 AM
    • chickky311's Profile Photo

Motel ice machines?

by chickky311 Online Now May 30, 2005 at 11:37 AM

This may sound like a stupid question, but does anyone know if Motel 6 has ice machines? I'll be bringing bottled water and some other stuff in a cooler and I want to be able to keep them cold while I'm there.

2 Answers May 31, 2005 at 7:29 AM

Motel 6 here I come!!!

by chickky311 Online Now Apr 7, 2005 at 12:36 PM

Well, I just booked my room at the Motel 6, they were by far the cheapest (I'm on a tight budget) so no turning back now. I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best!!!

looking for a place to stay

by chickky311 Online Now Apr 5, 2005 at 1:28 PM

Can anyone tell me what would be a clean and cheap motel to stay at in the rapid city area? I looked at the Motel 6 there and they are pretty cheap but I was wondering if it is a nice place. Any info would be helpful.

1 Answer Apr 5, 2005 at 4:58 PM
    • jquick77's Profile Photo

Cellular service

by jquick77 Online Now Mar 14, 2005 at 3:32 PM

My wife and I are planning a trip to Rapid City/Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills in June. Just curious as to how the cell phone service is in Rapid City. I use Sprint (in case that makes a difference). Thanks for your help!

6 Answers Mar 23, 2010 at 1:48 AM
    • Partying in RC....

by DNIYM Online Now Aug 13, 2004 at 5:21 PM

I'm going to be visiting Rapid City for 2 nights next weekend (Sat & Sun, Aug 21-22) and I'm curious about where the "singles/pick-up" scenes are. It will be me and a buddy, so 2 single guys looking to meet some nice local girls so that we don't hafta spend the weekend just talking to each other. Also, aside from Mount Rushmore what other activities are within a couple hours of RC? I was hoping to go hunting but nothing is in season - are there private hunting grounds or shooting ranges that I could check out? Thank you, in advance, for any help. Anthony

1 Answer Nov 12, 2004 at 2:14 PM
    • Transport

by ali70 Online Now May 15, 2004 at 9:25 AM

I would love to visit Rapid City but I don't drive. Is it impossible to see the sights without having your own car?

2 Answers Mar 23, 2010 at 1:51 AM