Rangoon Travel Answers

change location

War Graves

by Dumbo4 Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 7:42 AM

We need to visit the Taukkyan war cemetery North of Yangon. Can we get a bus or taxi from the city. I know it's about 20 miles. What are the opening times etc ?
Thankyou.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: War Graves

by planxty Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Hello Dumbo, and welcome to VT, I hope you enjoy it here, it is a very good site for information.

I am guessing you are visiting the war cemetery for a specific reason. I would recommend the following websites for information about the location, just follow the specific links and you will get a Google Earth map etc. You can also use it to find specific graves using the search engine which may assist you.

twgpp.org/cemetery_locations...

www.cwgc.org

As regards travel, it is a few years since I was in Rangoon but I doubt much has changed. The buses are absolutely ancient (due to sanctions) and always hideously crowded. This might give you an idea.

"How are they still running?" - Bus, Rangoon / Yangon Tip by planxty

Taxis are a relatively inexpensive way to get around inside and outside the city and you can either negotiate one yourself or any place you are staying can get one for you. Be sure to fix a price before you set off though to avoid any potential problems later.

Burma is a great country with beautiful people and it is a very exciting time to be there now so I know you will enjoy it.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: War Graves

by dagontravel Online Now Apr 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

When you reach you Taukkkyan World War II cemetery, you should continue to visit north until Bago City a round if you rent a taxi.Taste in Bago much more better for sightseeing!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rangoon