Rangoon Travel Answers

change location

Searching for a Church in Scott Market

by Krishdaniel Online Now Oct 13, 2011 at 4:44 AM

My husband's Grandparents got married in Church of India Burma (CIB) on Scott market. We are wondering if that Church exists till date...??? Would love to see some photos of that Church if its still there...

Thank You.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cochinjew's Profile Photo

Re: Searching for a Church in Scott Market

by cochinjew Online Now Oct 13, 2011 at 4:56 AM

The anglican cathedral Holy Trinity and there have been many name changes since your grandparents time is just down the street by Scott or Bogyoke Market. It is a large church and cant be missed while driving around.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Searching for a Church in Scott Market

by Krishdaniel Online Now Oct 13, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Thanks for your reply...! I think they got married around 1939 or so.. They were Protestants.... wondering if this is the Church u r referring to... I am not sure if this church is on Scott Market.... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church...

Thanks Once Again..! :D

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Re: Searching for a Church in Scott Market

by cochinjew Online Now Oct 13, 2011 at 5:15 AM

yes this is the church in the wiki site i am referring to. in 1939, most of the british and prominent citizens were protestants (burmese are mostly buddhists) and they might have gotten married at this church. Scott Market itself is a large indoor market and to my knowledge there are no prominent churches nearby other than the one mentioned and the picture you have on wiki info.
    Yangon or Rangoon is the best preserved British Colonial city in its architecture..

• Re: Searching for a Church in Scott Market

by mehmedinkhost Online Now Jan 14, 2014 at 5:48 AM

I think maybe the church you are looking for is not the Anglican Cathedral but Saint Gabriel's which is located immediately adjacent on the northeast side to Bogyoke Aung San Market (Scott Market). This is a CIB Church. I have some photos (from night time) of the church - if you send me an e-mail I can forward you one (mehmedinkhost@gmail.com)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rangoon