Rangoon Travel Answers

change location

Road Travel in June 2011

by FreeSpirit_sg Online Now Jun 2, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Hi

Am planning to head to Myanmar mid-June. Wondering if anyone could advise re: road conditions during this time, as I read that it's the monsoon and roads deteriorate during this time?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • BertholdD's Profile Photo

Re: Road Travel in June 2011

by BertholdD Online Now Jun 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM

The roads from Yangon to Mandalay and Bagan have been improving a lot recently. I was there in December last year and there was not much rain, but with the quality of the roads it should be okay.
    The interior lowlands are sheltered from the monsoons and receive much less rainfall than Yangon or the coastal areas.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Road Travel in June 2011

by Thatoeminn Online Now Jun 2, 2011 at 8:32 PM

The roads in Myanmar much better for the tourist destination now. Even monsoon time in Myanmar good enough to make a good trip. I would like to suggest you, you should better to visit Central Myanmar, Mandalay, Bagan and Shan state, Inlay Lake, you can spend the time and enjoy with local lovely peoples. 10 day is good enough to make trip these area. I am sure you will have wonderful time there. You can get low prices in "off season" for the hotel, transportation,etc.

• Mique's Profile Photo

Re: Road Travel in June 2011

by Mique Online Now Jun 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM

No worries, roads will be fine (enough) and if you get a flat tire which isn't unusual, that has less to do with the roads and more with the maintenance of the vehicles... Besides, rainy season here seldom means that it is raining continuously. It can rain very very hard and roads can flood in an hour but that does not happen often. And it is rare that roads stay flooded for a long time.

And as people mentioned before, there is less rain in the middle part of Burma. Though Mandalay (region) is known for its floods every year.

Just don't plan any hiking trips.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rangoon