Rangoon Travel Answers

change location

Working in Rangon.

by Walter_Ego Online Now Sep 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Hello,
I am an ESL teacher in Thailand who is seriously considering working in Rangon for a company called 'Horizon School'.
Does anyone know anything about it?
How much will my living expenses be?
How much is a reasonable ammount of pay to live ok. (my needs are little) and to save a little bit?
Any information would be greatly apreciated.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Mique's Profile Photo

Re: Working in Rangon.

by Mique Online Now Sep 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I'll reply in full later today or tomorrow (depending on time). I am a teacher in Yangon and i have worked for Horizon (although a few years ago). So i can answer all your questions and then some... But classes start..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bangdong's Profile Photo

by bangdong Online Now Oct 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Yes, Mique will be the best one to answer that question. But I can at least supply a bit of information. A friend of mine teaches at the Horizon school in Mandalay. He enjoys it and gets decent benefits (housing allowance, meals, flight to renew visa in Bangkok, etc.). He has a lot of experience teaching in international schools and rates this one below average as far as the overall quality. But he hasn't had any big problems with the administration ... a group that is Turkish!

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Oct 4, 2010 at 12:39 AM

As stated before, Horizon is run by a Turkish admin. Many teachers there are Turkish too and that can make things sometimes a little difficult since they keep much to themselves and therefor sometimes you don't know info that you needed to have. But no school is perfect. The last head of English at Horizon here in Yangon was a very good guy. The man who has taken over can't be trusted i've heard. but i don't know him personally. He's fairly new.

In general, they have upped their pay much and are now closer to the other international schools. You get housing allowance and they cover expensive medical treatment but not a visit to the doctor. They pay for your visa runs and pay for a ticket back home once a year (i think. Though it could be Bangkok if you sign up form there. Not sure). With the salary you can easily save some money. Apartments are more expensive than in Thailand but you'll spend less money on other things. As always, you can make things as expensive and as cheap as you want. But most people I know (teachers that as) can save money without too much problem.

If there's anything else, let me know

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rangoon