Rangoon Travel Answers

change location
AntaeusCass's Profile Photo

Kyats and Dollars - the exchange rate.

by AntaeusCass Online Now Jun 18, 2010 at 6:14 AM

I am going to Mynmar later this year. With the official rate the cost of a bus ticket Yangon to Mandalay works out atUS1600 at the official exchange rate. Is this for real or is there a better price?

Thanks a lot.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Stepwalk's Profile Photo

Re: Kyats and Dollars - the exchange rate.

by Stepwalk Online Now Jun 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Rob, you will find that there are anomalies the way the Kyat is quoted on official exchange rate sites which is why you have calculated the cost at1600. However, the airfare is US$214 return and Leo Express does this bus route I believe for US$10 each way. In recent posts people have referred to the Kyat rate to US$ as US$1 = 1000 Kyats and on this site http://www.myanmar2day.com/ its stated as US$1 = 987 Kyats at 8 June 2010.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cafank's Profile Photo

by cafank Online Now Jun 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM

I've just booked Yangon, Mandalay for87.00 flight - I think your ticket is about16.00 now from what I could find out. Email sanay@yangonow.com for updated info - that's where I am booking through.

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Jun 20, 2010 at 10:00 PM

At the moment you get 997 kyats to the dollar if you have a clean. crisp100 bill for exchange. Smaller denominations get you slightly less but they are great for paying entrance fees, hotels and all that.

Yangon to Mandalay tickets range from16 to25 depending on which company you go with. Some have aircon buses some haven't, in the end it doesn't matter much since often the aircon doesn't work (properly) anyway... Make sure that you don't get a middle seat (a kind of foldable chair in the passageway).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rangoon