Rangoon Travel Answers

change location

engagement rings

by merro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM

where should I buy an engagement ring? are there locally made rings made of white gold with diamonds? thanks fellow travellers

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Re: engagement rings

by merro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM

What is your answer?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: engagement rings

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Most important to buy from a shop that is established n reputable in a shopping mall or store location. on average they will show you the retail price of a carat diamond to be about 4,500 usd. meaning you should not pay more than half. I bought one in Thailand 1.2 carats with vvs clarity for 2200 usd. It was older in yellow gold. when we brought it back to USA and had it appraised, the retail value was the same, but the wholesale value in which they would buy my ring was 2,500 usd. Nowadays white gold is not uncommon, but must be asked for.

cheers tommy x and thanks for the tips

1 member found this helpful

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM

xymmot wrote:

buying a ring over a carat in size is quite large for Burma and the region. If you are buying these diamonds for a native , most expats that I know say a half or 3/4 will do.

cheers tommy x

it is most unfortunate that most of our posting has disappeared and we have to retype our post. I hope VT will fix this bug soon. cheers tommy x

• Re: engagement rings

by merro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM

thanks for the advice.

are you able to tell me 2-3 stores in rangoon that are reputable .... which shopping centre/market?

thanks

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:57 AM

there are many stores in the Bogyoke Market. There is not one in particular that I know of to recommend. I ask you to be careful and know your gems before you buy and go with someone that is a native and can speak the language. Buying gems is a tricky commodities when it involves hundreds of dollars and most are cash transaction, NO ATM or credit cards I would google in about buying gems in Burma. I did buy some great rubies in Burma that I thought was a great price, but further negations by a native got the item even cheaper. If you go on a tour of jewelry manufactures, there is always a retail shop at the end of the tour. I take those prices and cut them in half and more before a final price is reach, but even then, after many thoughts,I paid too much. They do copy and make jews for some of the great retail places in the states. But there are several grades of quality to consider and if you are not a expert, ask! Buying jews in Asia is a all day affair and will take a lot of time to get your price, but do your research and have a price in mind that you want to spend and stick to it. Many bargains to be had if you know what you are buying.

cheers tommyx

• KhinC's Profile Photo

by KhinC Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Hello my friend! I am Myanmar girl . Many jewellery shop in Yangon. If you want to see gem museum you can see gem museum in Yangon.You can buy in gem museum. I recommend MK gems, Elegant gems.If you want to make order for your engagement ring,you can order in that shop.
    Welcome to Myanmar!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rangoon