Raleigh Travel Answers

change location
diver-x's Profile Photo

Day trip to the sea coast?

by diver-x Online Now Nov 18, 2006 at 7:44 AM

I might have an opportunity to move to the Raleigh area from Boston so I'm looking at all the pros & cons. One of my big concerns is that it's far from the sea coast. All my life I've lived less than an hour away from the ocean and I would miss being able to go diving on a whim in the summer. Is it possible to take a day trip to the sea coast? Keep in mind, that I'm the kind of person who day trips to Martha's Vineyard from the Boston area (a 2 1/2 hour trip one way). What are the nicest coastal areas closest to Raleigh? Any good diving? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • jimwebster's Profile Photo

RE: Day trip to the sea coast?

by jimwebster Online Now Nov 28, 2006 at 3:54 PM

I am a native of Durham, which is just west of Raleigh. You would be only about 4 hours from the coast. And maybe 5 hours plus from Myrtle Beach, SC. As far as the NC coast goes for tourism and such, from about mid-point and southward would offer the most options. The northern part of the coast is largely unpopulated and open. Whether this is because of the outer banks landcape or what, I really don't know. Just keep in mind that the undertow of the water current can be very strong! I don't know if that helps or not. If you are interested, I could share some places to see. (I may have to do some web surfing to get the names straight.) My father and his brothers were always fishing, so we went to the coast several times a year just to fish. So most of my memories are from that time period. The NC coast has a lot of rich history, from early settlements to pirates to the civil war.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines