Raleigh Travel Answers

change location
christinakl's Profile Photo

The Big Move

by christinakl Online Now Feb 11, 2006 at 2:59 PM

My boyfriend is being transferred to Raleigh, North Carolina, and our move is scheduled around mid-May. Both of us are natives to California, but I have family from PA and sadly to say that is the only other US State that I have had the opportunity to experiance. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advise on what I should be expecting (ie: weather wise, social atmosphere) and what area's would be the best for moving too (maybe starting a little family WinkWink)

Thanks a bunch

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Hopkid's Profile Photo

RE: The Big Move

by Hopkid Online Now Feb 12, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Hi Christina,

My wife and I also relocated to the east coast from California (we live in Richmond, VA, about 3 hours from Raleigh). I go down to Raleigh/Durham for work periodically. Here is what you can expect. Lots of trees. Humid and hot summers. Winter temps in the 30s to the 50s, sometimes getting colder but not for extended periods. Infrequent snow most years. Great BBQ (well great unless your a vegetarian). Oh, and sweet tea. You'll just have to try it to know I mean. ; )

As for where to live I can't comment too much on that except to say that I hear that Cary is a good place. I also have friends who live in Carrboro which is hear Chapel Hill. But best to let someone who lives there give you some advice on where to live.

Good luck and welcome to the mid-Atlantic!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: RE: The Big Move

by saponi Online Now Feb 13, 2006 at 9:09 AM

Hi....

I live in Maryland, but my family is from N.C. and my husband and I plan to move back soon. I know the Raleigh area pretty well...first of all let me say it has "lots" to do there, it has been rated the no. 1 best place to live in U.S. cities twice. Lots of restaurants, culture, shopping, job opportunities, etc. The weather is great, winters are not too cold as far as the east coast goes. Usually about 40 degrees is low as it will go and high as 60.(may seem cold to you being from california...but trust me...compared to Maryland...much warmer)Now... the summers will be hot and humid...many people from west coast have not experienced "humidity"...makes heat feel much hotter than really is. Will get up to around 90 degrees at times..and occassionally mite hit higher with humidity...but mostly around 80 - 85 degrees sometime as low as 70?

The good news is I am quite sure you will find housing far more less expensive then california....i would say rent/mortgage anywhere from600 and up...if you pay over1000 you will be in something fabulous. Median house value is around150,000 and medium income around45,000. Best places to live are Chapel Hill and Carey..."Durham is not my top pick"...Entire state filled with Wonderful trees, trees and more trees and lots of grass....very GREEN. Some of the best hospitals in country...Duke, and Wake Memorial and UNC at Chapel Hill. Great schools...not too far from Blue Ridge Mountains and Cherokee(about 3-4 hours)close to Nags Head, N.C. wonderful site on the peninsala. Diverse culture....home to NC Commission of Indian Affairs (6 state recognize tribes...includes 1 federal recog. tribe...Cherokee), great powwows...especially Haliwa-Saponi Tribe in Hollister, NC. (about 1 hour east of Raleigh)...my tribe...I am native...check out my site "Redearthgallery.net".

Well....hope that helps....think you will "Love" it....just remember..it is the "country" so things are much slower paced than what u maybe use to...and watch out for "speeding" serious about that down there....and often speed changes on the "dime" on some of those roads.

Good Luck!

• elsensei's Profile Photo

RE: The Big Move

by elsensei Online Now Feb 15, 2006 at 5:51 AM

You are now in Santa Barbara? Based on my experiece visiting Raleigh about 7 times and moving from CA to Atlanta, here is my take on the good and bad:

Good:

1. Housing is like 1/8 of the cost in Santa Barbara.
    2. Tons of trees and green. Don't need to water the lawn in general.
    3. Traffic slightly better.
    4. Family-friendly, good schools are more available, possibly more parks and green space.

Bad:

1. Weather will be a big shock. You will freeze in the winter and the summer humidity and heat will be a big change. If you live inland CA it won't seem too bad, if by the coast you will die from the heat the first summer. Think AC and pleanty of it. It will probably take a year or two to adapt. You will get only about 40-50 days a year that are like Santa Barbara is for 300 days/year.
    2. Culture might be a shock, far, far more conservative than Santa Barbara. Much more hardcore church attendance for example. (This might be a big positive if you want that culture.)
    3. No beach nearby, but you might not care as that SB water is cold! NC/SC beaches are warm so that could be a positive.
    4. Jobs might pay slightly less, but since the cost of living is a joke compared to SB you probably won't care.
    5. Say goodbye to seeing mountains nearby and living on hillsides like SB. You view will be trees, period.

Best of luck, and get rid of the CA licence plates ASAP when you get there!

• christinakl's Profile Photo

RE: RE: The Big Move

by christinakl Online Now Feb 17, 2006 at 3:54 PM

Thank's a bunch! You're comment's help a lot! This helps me better prepare myself for what I'm getting into :) I'm excited to get away from CA as strange as it sounds... There isn't very much opportunity here, and you can scratch ever considering owning your own home due to the high cost of living prices. I think the only thing that's going to take some getting used to is the weather, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks a bunch
    Christina

• FreeCloud's Profile Photo

RE: RE: The Big Move

by FreeCloud Online Now Apr 17, 2006 at 9:02 PM

Be more realistic, the median housing in Cary (report about 2003): townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/...

I remember a while ago, the WRAL news report said now the median housing price in Cary is around300K. Chapel Hill housing is not much cheaper (if not higher).

Also, with more and more people relocating to Cary, water supply is tight. There is a restriction on when one can water the lawn etc (also you could use reclaimed water for yard).

Weather varies year by year, this spring seems to be rather brief (though beautiful!) between winter and summer.

Best luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines