Raleigh Travel Answers

change location
Angua's Profile Photo

View of the Shuttle?

by Angua Online Now Jul 1, 2005 at 12:42 AM

Hubbie and I will be visiting friends in North Raleigh in July when the shuttle launch is currently scheduled to take place. We wondered whether North Carolina residents can see any part of the shuttle path before it leaves our atmosphere. If so, what is the best place to view it from?

Many thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Foundryman1's Profile Photo

RE: View of the Shuttle?

by Foundryman1 Online Now Jul 1, 2005 at 4:04 AM

It would have to be a very clear day from Florida to North Carolina.If It were a night launch you would have a better chance of spotting it.Also, The shuttle needs to be going for a certain orbit(I think polar)for you to see it over the eastern US otherwise it shoots east over the Atlantic.You might have better luck out on the Outer Banks-A long drive.
    3...2....1....blastoff

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Hopkid's Profile Photo

RE: RE: View of the Shuttle?

by Hopkid Online Now Jul 1, 2005 at 6:58 AM

I'm not sure the shuttle would be very viewable from the Outer Banks. I was able to witness a daytime shuttle launch when I was in Jacksonville, FL and even down there the shuttle was a small speck in the sky.

• Angua's Profile Photo

Thanks

by Angua Online Now Jul 2, 2005 at 1:05 AM

Thanks for your replies. I think a trip to Myrtle Beach is planned but that is about as far south as we'll go on this trip. Ah well, if all else fails, we'll have to have a shuttle launch party around the TV with the neighbours! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines