Raleigh Travel Answers

change location
swahili4courage's Profile Photo

Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by swahili4courage Online Now May 22, 2005 at 8:26 AM

My wife & I are in our mid 30s and have 2 small kids, ages 5 and 3. We have lived in the DC region (Northern Virginia suburbs) since the mid-1990s and are in need of a change. We just feel the DC surrounding region has become so overcrowded and so overpriced we just need to move away. We made a trip to the Raleigh region in summer 2004 and really liked what we saw. We want to relocate to the Raleigh area.

Ideally, we would line up a job in the Raleigh region before we left the DC region, but have found that employers are reluctant to interview people from out of state. There seems to be an influx of "transplants" from the northeast and western states to the Raleigh area. We've really had it with the traffic, overpriced housing, etc of the DC surrounding region. I've been doing IT support for the last 11 years (Windows sys admin, desktop, application support) and my wife is a medical records technician. Hope to move and be in place in the Raleigh area by summer 2006. What types of things should we be doing now in preparation for this goal? Can any of you fellow "transplants" recommend some companies or give advice here? Did your company pay for your relocation to Raleigh area or did you have to fund it yourself? Any advice/info is most appreciative.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • elsensei's Profile Photo

RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by elsensei Online Now Jun 26, 2005 at 7:56 PM

I didn't move to Raleigh, but did something similar in that I moved from California to Atlanta as I was tired of the high costs of housing in CA.

In my experience with jobs, unless your occupation is super specialized and in high demand, you will have to move first and then get a job. Companies don't want to talk to you if you are out of state, as they will not want to pay for you to travel for an interview. Likewise, if they do hire you they don't want to pay all the relocation fees.

If possible, either you or your wife should get a small month to month rental apartment and pound the pavement looking for a job. Use the local address on your resume and get a local number cell phone.

I my case, I bought a house with no job and hoped that I would find something before I went bankrupt! Stressful, but luckily I got something in about 2 months.

Start saving now just in case your move has bumps, as it surely will. Good luck

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by liveinraleigh Online Now Sep 7, 2005 at 5:29 PM

Hi:
    After living here 18 years and in the tech. industry, I would strongly suggest
    that you have a job before you move. After the tech bubble burst this area
    still has not recovered. Many employees from Nortel, IBM, Cisco etc. that were layed off still are out of work or have left the tech. and IT industry.
    Yuor best bet if you are serious would be to hook up with one of the contract agencies and see if your skills match any openings they have with local companies.
    Health care openings are pretty good, so I think your wife will have no problem landing work.
    Good luck.

• swahili4courage's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by swahili4courage Online Now Oct 12, 2005 at 9:18 AM

Thanks. Can you list/name any of the contract agencies in the Raleigh area. We are also considering Charlotte area, too. So if (or anyone) has info on both Charlotte and Raleigh areas please share.

Once again, what are some of the contract agencies U know of in Raleigh area. Thanks again!

• RE: RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by lmbear2000 Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 11:07 AM

Have you relocated yet? If so, have you found employment?

• RE: RE: RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by lmbear2000 Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 11:42 AM

Have you relocated yet? If so, have you found employment?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines