Raleigh Travel Answers

change location
Maikeli's Profile Photo

Relocating from Pearl City, Hawaii

by Maikeli Online Now Apr 13, 2005 at 4:11 PM

I know, you are probably asking yourself, "Why on earth would you move away from HAWAII!!"
Let me tell you, Hawaii is not an easy place to live, by any means. Basically, it is not for mainlanders (haoles). Problems include: racism, anti-mainlanderism, cost of living, quality of housing, job market...
Anyway, my wife and I have been looking for where to move, and Raleigh is at the top of our list. I'm an ESL teacher and she is a communications/marketing person, so we are wondering about job availability; whether or not the culture is accepting of outsiders/newcomers; where the "good" and "bad" neighborhoods are; and generally, what it is like to live in the Raleigh area.
Any advice or descriptions would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone wants to know what life is like for a "haole" in Hawaii, I have more than a few stories to share.
Mahalo nui loa! (thanks a lot!)
-Mike

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • blurryguy's Profile Photo

RE: Relocating from Pearl City, Hawaii

by blurryguy Online Now Apr 13, 2005 at 5:30 PM

Hey I really don't know where a good place to live is but I use to live in hawaii and you are so right...it isn't an easy living over there. I mean the beaches are beautiful and the shoppin areas are great but wow just for rentin a place it seems like you have to work 2 jobs...I never really had to deal with the racism cause I'm part Hawaiian but I do know its there. lol cya

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Relocating from Pearl City, Hawaii

by MandaJ320 Online Now Apr 14, 2005 at 9:32 AM

you wouldn't believe how many transplants live in the south, especially north Carolina. in the urban areas like Charlotte and Raleigh, i'd say most of the people aren't originally from NC. i'm not originally from NC, (i'm from one state away), but i've never had a problem. a lot of northerners decide to move down here for the warmth and slower paced life, so you wouldn't be the only one! my best friend growing up moved to Hawaii for three years. i've never been... but i've heard stories about "haoles," and i can tell you, southerners aren't like that at all! :-)

if you're an ESL teacher, i'm sure you'd have no difficulty finding a job. the Latino population is expanding greatly in NC. the job market here has really picked up over the past few years in general, so i'd say you'd be in good shape. plus the cost of living is so much cheaper than in other parts of the country! good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines