Raleigh Travel Answers

change location

Vacation suggestions Raleigh

by debra_lea Online Now Apr 4, 2005 at 3:59 PM

My husband, one year old son and I are vacationing in Raleigh the week after memorial day. We are also scoping out the area for a possible relocation from Ventura California. I am ready to pack my bags, but my husband is going to need a little convincing. He has had little exposure to the southeast and is afraid that he will have to become a NASCAR/beer drinking/red neck:-)

Please offer advice on things to do. We will be staying at a b&b in downtown Raleigh. I would love suggestions for places to eat and things to do. We would prefer the "undiscovered" affordable eatries that would be suitable for a family. They don't have to be fancy, but we like good tasting. We are more into healthy multicultural foods.

As for places to see...I'm looking for places that show the cultural of the city.

Thanks in advance,
Debra

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: Vacation suggestions Raleigh

by xscorcho Online Now Apr 5, 2005 at 11:32 AM

North Carolina is one of the most educated states.. I am not sure why your husband thinks that you will become a beer drinking redneck!! I have visited there before and plan to live there someday.. I love Raleigh and Durham! Sorry though, cant answer your question about where specifically you should go. Hope you can get him to change his mind about the city!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Vacation suggestions Raleigh

by justforyou Online Now Apr 15, 2005 at 3:10 PM

Hello. I stumbled across this and as a resident of Raleigh I decided that I had to join so I could post. Mo's Diner is my absolute favorite restaurant. Don't be confused by the name, it is not a diner. It is a nice but simple fancy restaurant that is in an old house. The food is wonderful. 306 E Hargett St
    Raleigh, NC 27601 is the address. 518 West is also a good italian restaurant, not quite as expencive but not cheap. They have great pasta dishes. I am unsure of their address, but it is located on Gleenwood Ave. Sullivan's Steakhouse is very good. The best place to go for a steak. It can be intimidating however, if you are not used to this atmosphere. It is pricey. Ok, sorry to take all the time with the expencive options. But if you are a bbq fan I suggest a trip to Chapel Hill to visit the Barbecue Joint. It is delicious, it is NOT your traditional barbecue place. Its like barbecue meets gourmet food with a southern comfort atmosphere and reasonable prices. Now i have never been but all my friends love shabashabu. It is thai cusine and relatively upscale but very good from what i hear. I would also suggest Solomon's, a very good mediterranian restaurant with reasonable prices, especially at lunch time. I hope i have been helpful

• adagio99x's Profile Photo

RE: Vacation suggestions Raleigh

by adagio99x Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 3:07 AM

I suggest your husband bites the bullet...and becomes a beer-swilling, NASCAR-loving red neck....just like my dear brother (who relocated there). This is why I am proposing to visit him in Raleigh at the end of the month! He's a man after my own heart....Oh yes and the food. You'll love the healthy, multicultural foods....deep-fried chicken, biscuits and chitlins with extra portions of fries. Also, if you haven't started already, it's a good opportunity to take up smoking. I'm led to believe the tobacco is cheap and subsidized!
    By the way...before I get some beer-swilling, tobacco-chewing red-neck inviting me to the next NASCAR meet...or some paragon of virtue berating me for encouraging every vice known... the above was irony and was meant humourously...:-)
    When my dear brother relocated there with his family for work a few years back I remember him describing his first days in the office. He complained he didn't understand a word anybody said to him for the first two weeks. He described it as "like being in a room full of Elvises!"
    Now I don't understand a word HE says.....as long as he keeps feeding me beer and cigarettes, who cares!
    Enjoy your vacation Debra....it'll be my turn at the end of the month!

• adagio99x's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Vacation suggestions Raleigh

by adagio99x Online Now Sep 6, 2005 at 3:10 AM

Suddenly realised I am responding to questions posed several months ago....duh!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines