Quito Travel Answers

change location

Advice on very busy itinerary, starting from Quito

by g_selosa Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Hi gang!

So I've sorted out the whole Galapagos and Amazon tour, now I really wanna pin down the other stuff before we start those tours! I need everybody's opinion on this itinerary:

April 18 - arrive at 6:30pm, get settled in a hostel/hotel somewhere, have dinner (where?)
19 - One day tour to Laguna Quilotoa
20 - Get to Banos somehow and stay the night?
21 - get back to Quito and take a flight from Quito - Guayaquil and head over to Montanita (how?), partayy
22 - Relax and chill, go back to guayaquil and stay the night there
23 - fly out to Isla Baltra
23-29 - Galapagos tour
29 - Back in Quito
30 - May 3 - Amazon tour
May 3 - back in Quito, maybe go to Mindo for the day?
4 - day tour to Mitad del Mundo and Museo de Sitio Intinan
5 - leave Ecuador :(

It sounds incredibly busy but I really wanted to visit Laguna Quilotoa (is it really the most breathtaking sight? I did an alpine hike in NZ and the emerald lakes were stunning there) AND Banos (spa-feel, tempting fate by being so close to Volcan Tungurahua) AND chill out in Montanita for the weekend. When we finish our galapagos/amazon tours we have a day and a half left for Mitad del Mundo (gotta have that picture ya know) and the real equator line in Museo de Sitio Intinan. Is Mindo too far then? Is this itinerary completely crazy? Any advice and recommendations very much appreciated!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

Re: Advice on very busy itinerary, starting from Quito

by MalenaN Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Yes, it sounds incredibly busy! You will spend a lot of time on buses with this itinerary so I think you should skip something. I would skip Montañita, but I haven’t been there so I can’t really tell. And I would skip Guayaquil to stay another night in Quito (if you can get your flight to Isla Baltra from there).

The bus from Quito to Baños takes 3h but it leaves from a bus terminal in the very south of Quito, so it takes time to go there as well. That will give you only half a day in Baños.

Buses to Mindo pass Mitad del Mundo so you can easily stop there on your way back to Quito. But once again with your itinerary you will not get a full day in Mindo.

Remember that there are lots of things to see and do in Quito too.

Lagoona Quilotoa is beautiful so that is a good daytrip to do (I assume you are planning to take an organised tour from Quito). Remember that Quilotoa is situated at an altitude of 3900m so it is better to take this tour after a few days at high altitude.

I visited Ecuador for seven weeks last year and on my profile page I have got links to the pages I have made for each destination I visited (with photos and tips). If you are interested you can have a look at:
    "Ten years on VT!" - MalenaN's Profile

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Advice on very busy itinerary, starting from Quito

by g_selosa Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Oh no!

I didn't think about the altitude! I was just gonna flip that itinerary and just walk around Quito, visit Mitad del Mundo on the 19th, and leave Quilotoa for our very last day in Ecuador on May 4! Is that a bad idea?

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Re: Advice on very busy itinerary, starting from Quito

by MalenaN Online Now Apr 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I still think you are trying to squeeze too many places in to your short visit. If you visit Quito and La Mitad del Mundo on the 19th you could probably take the day tour to Quilotoa on the 20th. I don’t think you will do a lot of hiking on the day tour, maybe down the crater, and then you can always take a ride on a horse up if it is too hard to walk. But I’m no expert of high altitude. I would probably wait another day though.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines