Quito Travel Answers

change location

Advise on non touristy places!

by Jennifercanal Online Now Nov 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Ecuador for the Christmas holiday from Dec 23-Jan 1st. We fly into Quito. Initially, we thought we might go to Otavalo first (which we may not do due to it being very touristy) then head south towards Tena and the Oriente region. Also, we have considered the Quilota Loop. However, with such a short amount of time there I want to do as much quality things as possible.
To give you an idea of what we are looking for….
We have traveled extensively through Mexico, Central America and Cuba and my boyfriend hiked Machu Piccu last year. Our main joy is experiencing the indigenous people in communities. We are not so much into hiking or white water rafting - just hanging out with people and learning. We speak Spanish (pretty good) and I hope to have some Quechua phrases under my belt by then! (Ha! Easier said than done!) ☺

Each time we travel we bring clothing to the children so therefore would like to find any communities with an orphanage or a small community with a local leader or even a church that can distribute to those in need. We would also like to do home stays as part of our trip and contribute to local families as much as possible.

Please write back with any information or suggestions you may have, as we are very excited to come to Ecuador! If it is easier we can always call you! If so please send your phone number or SKYPE name!

Best,
jennifer

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines