Quito Travel Answers

change location

by eprill Online Now Aug 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I was fortunate to live in Quito in 1994-95 while teaching at the American-International School. This winter I'm returning to visit for a couple weeks.
I was glad to see the Folklorio Dance is still continuing. How far from the airport is the theater they perform in and can i buy tickets at-the-door?
Also, is there still an arts-and-crafts market across the street from Hotel Colon? If so, which days?
On Fridays we used to go hear classical music performances for free but I have forgotten where they were held.
My friend, Anne, and I are coming in December or February and plan to travel in Quito, Mindo and Cuenca. I am extending my stay and plan to go whitewater rafting somewhere near Cuenca or Quito. Any suggestions? I am an avid canoeist at home and frequent Class1-3+ rapids. Many thanks for any insights and information you can give me. I remember my time in Ecuador fondly. Oh, in 1995 we were using the Sucre. I understand it has changed to dollars? (Ecuadorian dollars? US dollars?) I look forward to hearing from you.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: 1995

by Agraichen Online Now Aug 15, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I was in Quito on my way to the Galapagos 3 years ago and found some Arts & Crafts near the Hotel Colon where I stayed. Not certain if it is the same as in the 90's but there were some small independent stalls. I was only there on a weekend so I can't speak to what other days the stalls might be present.

As for the Theater, if you are talking about the building just at the entrance to the Historic district, when I was there it had become a restaurant (very good one) called The Theatre.

Hopefully someone can give you more current information.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines