Quito Travel Answers

change location
MargaretL12's Profile Photo

Bus to new airport

by MargaretL12 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

From Terminal Quitumbe in Quito, Ecuador what bus do I take to the new airport? Will there be room for my suitcase. I have heard that it is a 2 to 3 hour trip to the new airport, but can't afford a taxi.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

Re: Bus to new airport

by MalenaN Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM

You can take the Metrobus to the old airport (last year tickets were $0.25) and from the old airport to the new airport there is an airport bus that cost $8.

Another option is to take the Metrobus to La Marin ($0.25) and change there to Ecovia (another $0.25). From the end station Rio Coca there are public buses ($0.68 to Tababela and the new airport):

Both journeys will take a very long time and both Metrobus and Ecovia can be packed with people, especially during rush hours (sometimes you can't enter the buses but must wait for the next), so not a very good option if you have luggage.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by MalenaN Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I must make a correction. The Ecovia is actually going all way from Quitumbe to Río Coca so that will be the cheapest and best option.

• Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Taking the Trolle, Ecovia or Metrobus with luggage is a horrible idea. While Quitumbe is the first stop and you are likely to get a seat, trying to get off will be almost impossible.

Furthermore, the bus from Rio Coca is another public bus which will likely be crowded and slow.

The shuttle from the old airport to the new one is the best option. With a lot of bags, it is HIGHLY advisable to take a taxi from Quitumbe to the old airport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Taking the Trolle, Ecovia or Metrobus with luggage is a horrible idea. While Quitumbe is the first stop and you are likely to get a seat, trying to get off will be almost impossible.

Furthermore, the bus from Rio Coca is another public bus which will likely be crowded and slow.

The shuttle from the old airport to the new one is the best option. With a lot of bags, it is HIGHLY advisable to take a taxi from Quitumbe to the old airport.

by MalenaN Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

A taxi to the old airport should not be too expensive. In July last year I paid $7 for a taxi from Quitumbe to Centro Historico, and in August I took a taxi from Hospital Metropolitano to Terminal Quitimbe and the taximeter ended on $5.10 (that is a longer distance than Quituimbe - Centro Historico). The old airport is a little bit further away and will cost a bit more.

• Re: Bus to new airport

by sputnik906 Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Fluffy_bunny wrote:

Yeah, just found out too that the new airport is now 2 hours away from the city.

I will be travelling with just one piece of luggage, but since I am travelling solo I prefer a safer and easier way. Do you have more information about this? I'll be flying in on a Saturday afternoon. Say tariff, schedule and time needed etc.

Presumably the trip will be old airport-new airport-taxi?

Thanks

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

A taxi from Quitumbe to the New Airport should be $28.50 according to the government mandated pricing. Although getting this price is another matter. This could take 2 hours.

quito.com.ec/en/index.php/we...

A taxi Quitumbe-Old airport should i would guess would be $10-$15. Then from there, the shuttle from the Old Airport-New Airport is $8 and leave every 30 minutes 24 hours a day, everyday. This could take 3 hours

quito.com.ec/en/index.php/we...

So by the time you get to the Old Airport then get a shuttle, it's already $20+. If money is the absolute concern, the Evovia to Rio Coca is $0.25. Then a $2 bus to the New Airport. This will likely take 4-5 hours.

• Re: Bus to new airport

by sputnik906 Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Thanks a lot! I think the taxi sounds like a good idea, but getting the price is another matter as you said. :) I'll find out about that one surely.

I will be flying in from another city into Quito and I wonder if there's any hotel near the airport (the new one)? I sort of feel like avoiding the hassle of spending 4+ hours in the city for a 12 hour layover...I wouldn't imagine there being anything of particular interest to do around the new airport...?

by MalenaN Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I don’t know about accommodation near the new airport, but depending on where you end up staying you could visit El Quinche where there is an important church often visited by pilgrims. El Quinche is a small town situated not too far from the new airport.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines