Querétaro Travel Answers

change location

Internet Service

by Derricklaker Online Now Jul 9, 2004 at 1:59 AM

What are my options, if you know, for internet service during my stay in Queretaro, Mexico? I have a laptop with a lan line and high speed connection capabilities. Also, how much is it to have a phone line put into a home and what are the monthly service charges. Thank you for any help that you can give me. Derrick

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • niktemadur's Profile Photo

Re: Internet Service

by niktemadur Online Now Jul 10, 2004 at 12:59 AM

There's no two ways about it, the only phone company in central Mexico is Telmex. Activating a phone line (wiring already installed) runs for about200ºº, and the monthly rent is25ºº. All figures are in US dollars. Internet may be a different ballgame, there may be other ISPs that use cable, but as an example, here are Telmex rates for Broadband (ADSL): 256K connection - around35ºº a month. 512K connection - around60ºº a month. 1Mb connection - around100ºº a month. And finally: 2 MB connection - around460ºº a month. If you commit to 24 months of service, instalation kit for ground Internet is free, wireless instalation kit is60ºº. If you don't commit to 24 months of service, both instalation kits run for150ºº. There is support for both PC and Mac. For Mac System 9 and under, you have to connect via an application called MacPoet. I'd refer you to their website, but it is horribly constructed, jam-packed with pop-ups, and English instructions are pathetic. Better to call them at their hotline, dialed from Mexico as follows: 01 (800) 123 2222. If you want to feel some frustration, here it is: www.telmex.com.mx As an alternate plan, you can always work from an Internet Café, they are as common in Mexico as pubs are in England, and hourly rates can be as low as1.50, no higher than3ºº. Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • niktemadur's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Internet Service

by niktemadur Online Now Jul 10, 2004 at 5:26 AM

I'm reading my post, and there are double question marks where tiny zeros (for cents) should be, and a single question mark where the letter "e" is accented in the word "Cafe".

• alfredop's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Internet Service

by alfredop Online Now Jul 13, 2004 at 8:50 AM

Good information. Just to add. Internet by phone line could be a cheaper option and will run for US$20.00 a month at a 56K connection. Sanborn's cafe (there are 3 available in Queretaro and more than 400 around the country) offer wireless internet connection. Enjoy.

• jarturof's Profile Photo

by jarturof Online Now Aug 15, 2004 at 5:37 PM

There are prepaid internet cards from Todito.com, Esmas.com and Terra Mexico, you pay only100.00 pesos per card, and use it the way you want. The cards are sold in all Oxxo Stores

• jarturof's Profile Photo

by jarturof Online Now Aug 28, 2004 at 11:36 PM

By the way, in Querétaro there are more telephone companies that offer internet, like Telmex (prodigy), Axtel, Maxcom, and AT&T those had local phone services and data too. So you can choose between 4 local telephone companies or other ISP

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines