Quepos Travel Answers

change location
ticalaura's Profile Photo

Young crowd

by ticalaura Online Now Jan 13, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Just wanted to know what the night life was like during the week? I have a big group of young people who like to party, is Manuel Antonio the place?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Young crowd

by RobDubbz Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Hey what's up. I'm looking to go to Manuel Antonio too, also with a large group looking to have a good time. Did anyone reply to your post? Or like, have you heard anything about the area otherwise? I've been hearing mixed things. The beaches are beautiful, I hear, but as far as night life I've heard everything from 'it's really fun, lots of nightlife,' to 'it's very gay-friendly.' We're 6 straight law school students (guys. 24-27) renting a house down there for spring break. NOT looking for gay friendly. What have u heard?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kindra's Profile Photo

Re: Young crowd

by Kindra Online Now Mar 12, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Manuel Antonio has some nightlife but it didnt strike me as being "the place to party". A lot of tourists from a variety of countries/ages/walks of life travel to MA so I imagine the gay community is equally interested in MA as the so-called straight people. MA is tiny and there were 2 bars when I was there, one that got torn down due to some kind of dispute, which sucked because it was the one fun disco party place on the beach- this was 1.5 ago so there may be something new and exciting on the beach since then. Quepos is 20 minutes from MA and has a number of bars but again, nothing that is going to compete on the level of Acapulco or Cancun or Varadero. CR is not really a party country so if you want beach and party and nothing else, you may want to reconsider. The best places to go "for a party" in CR IMO are San Jose (tons of bars, El Pueblo is a good place for a night out-- its a whole arcade of bars for dancing, carousing, drinking, eating etc. lots of fun and open all night, full of Ticos, be cautious here though) and Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side-- again a few notable bars, including Jhonnys on the beach that has a disco to dance in and tables around a bonfire on the beach where you can enjoy beers and convo.

• waldo2382's Profile Photo

Re: Young crowd

by waldo2382 Online Now Feb 18, 2009 at 5:59 AM

I was there in 2003. I guess Mar y Sombras is no more, but that was a pretty good place starting at about 11pm. There is one place in town that is on a corner...I forgot the name, but i'm sure it's still there and was pretty good. There was a ladies night where women drank free. There is definately nightlife, ask a cab driver or the front desk at whatever hotel or hostel and they'll let you know. Scout it out during the day too so you can find the bars at night walking around. I also remember a bar owned by some Americans near the "break wall" that is an outdoor bar and had a good scene.
    When I was there I was on a ship that had about 300 young people on (19-25) year olds but we had a curfew at 1am...lame, I really wanted to stay out later. Quepos is definately a lot of fun and if there is a carnival going on, even better. Anyway, can't wait to go back. A fun trip would be to rent a truck and drive out to Playa el Rey for miles of secluded beach to yourselves. Bring some Imperial and make a party. It would be wise to drive out of there during daylight hours. Driving there, you'll see why, and bring a surf board if you're into that kind of thing. Party on!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines