Quepos Travel Answers

change location
asufan's Profile Photo

Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio?

by asufan Online Now Apr 10, 2005 at 6:50 PM

Looking for info on snorkeling in Manuel Antonio. Best spots... best times of day... best place to rent gear (or should we use a guided tour). I will be in Quepos/Manuel Antonio in the middle of May. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RBCal's Profile Photo

RE: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio?

by RBCal Online Now Apr 11, 2005 at 9:49 AM

The snorkeling in MA is a bit dissappointing in comparison to the Caribbean. There are organized snorkeling tours that all go to the same place, a point in between Quepos and MA (near the Parador I think but it was hard to tell from the boat).
    There were a lot of fish there but the water is not that clear and the water is kind of rough.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Latitude9Lisa's Profile Photo

RE: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio?

by Latitude9Lisa Online Now Apr 11, 2005 at 10:27 AM

As stated by the previous poster, the Pacific is rougher than the Caribbean and not a snorkeling mecca compared to other places in the world. Here is a post that was on the Fodor's Forum (wasn't able to hyperlink it, sorry) I highly recommend this Dolphin/Snorkel Tour. Maybe a bit more dolphin and education but a great experience. Have a great time and repost if you'd like more info!

Lisa in Manuel Antonio

Author: CaseyLee
    Date: 05/06/2004, 11:19 am
    Message: I wanted to share a great Dolphin/Snorkel Tour in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. The tour is by "Costa Celaje Tours" and is run by Mr. Alex Baker- a native resident.

The tour is great because it is bilingual and the staff shares a ton of ecological, cultural, and community information. They are friendly and accommodating, as well. After seeing the wildlife they take you to a great spot for snorkeling where you can view fish and sea life.

This tour seemed to be better than others offered because of the small boat that you go on. The boat is the perfect size for 4-6 persons and it allows for great maneuvering so that you can follow the dolphin. We saw larger boats trying to see the same pods, but were unable to get to them because they were larger.

I recently went and saw 6 to 8 Dolphins in a pod, several birds, etc. It was amazing!

Cost is US55.00 per person for Low season (May 1st-Oct. 31st) and US65.00 per person for High season (Nov. 1st-April 30th). They provide transportation from downtown Quepos or Manuel Antonio to the boat, lunch, and drinks.

If you would like to go you can contact them at (506)-364-6600 Cell, (506)-777-0184,
    or (506)-777-0749 Office. You can also reach them via email alexbakercr@yahoo.com. The website is being constructed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: matapalo58 (matapalo58@bellsouth.net)
    Date: 03/02/2005, 05:55 pm
    Message: I'm glad you enjoyed my friends tour. Alex is the owner and a GREAT guy, but I wish you had mentioned Bill Bennett, the talented guide with all that ecol., cultural, and comm. information. He has been doing these types of tours for almost 10 yrs now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: LePageS (LePageS@aol.com)
    Date: 03/03/2005, 05:32 pm
    Message: We did this tour in Feb. and I have to agree it was excellent. I would highly recommend it.

• Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio?

by gmac17 Online Now Mar 31, 2007 at 2:29 PM

here is some good info about snorkeling in manuel antonio - definitely not the caribean but it still sounds like there are things to see.

snorkeling.info/snorkeling-l...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines