Queenstown Travel Answers

change location

Unique Accommodation in Queenstown

by genloz Online Now Jul 29, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm after some unique accommodation in queenstown...
Whether it be an eco village, straw bale lodge, techno backpackers, historic building or even a farm stay - anything that's different is what I'm after.

Unfortunately all I've found so far are ski lodges and regular hotels...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lauren

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Unique Accommodation in Queenstown

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Depends a bit on your budget because in Queenstown you can have it all, from a dorm bed for about NZ$ 25 to a luxury night for more than NZ$ 2000. There is no resort in NZ with more luxury retreats than Queenstown.

There are a few hotels, B&Bs in historic buildings but I do not know a lot of quirky places in Queenstown. Here the emphasis is on making money, and new accommodation facilities shooting up like mushrooms. It definitely is not the place for unique farmstays and eco holidays. The hub for the latter is more at the northern end of the South Island (between Motueka and Farewell Spit). Good farmstays in Canterbury, Otago Pensinsula, Banks Pensinsula, and further north.

To me great accommodation in Queenstown is any hotel, motel or whatever which offers a great view of the lake and the mountains. I normally look for bargains on www.wotif.com

Places at a good location, for example, includes Base Backpackers which is sitting next to the lake and CBD:

queenstown-nz.co.nz/informat...

This one was voted No. 1 hostel in New Zealand in March 2010 by Hostelworld.com for whatever reason - I have not stayed there, location as good as of Base Backpackers:

Here is a huge list of Queenstown accommodation:

THE historic hotel in Queenstown is Eichardt's Private Hotel right on the lakefront. It dates back to the times of the goldrush and is simply stunning - but has its price.

Another historic building is the Historic Stone House:

What you can also get near Queenstown is vineyard accommodation.

In nearby Arrowtown you can stay in a historic cottage from the goldmining era:

arrowtown.org.nz/accommodati...

Also this one which is the original police station:

At the northern end of Lake Wakatipu is Glenorchy which is near Paradise and the spectacular end of the world... Peaceful and laid-back. But also a 40 min drive from Queenstown.

A bach/crib is a typical NZ holiday home, basic, compact, not luxurious - just like this one:

Historic and beautiful is Kinloch Lodge on the other side of the lake, opposite Glenorchy, so even more remote; they also do tours:

glenorchy.com/index.php?opti...

http://www.glenorchylakehouse.co.nz/

Basic farmstay: glenorchy-nz.com/GlenorchyRe...

And finally this one, really in Paradise and very historic:

glenorchy-nz.com/GlenorchyRe...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines