Queenstown Travel Answers

change location
lowlee's Profile Photo

Fishing Lake Wakatipu

by lowlee Online Now Sep 24, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Hi,

Will be in Queenstown with family for 5 days in Late Nove 2009. Quite keen to fish at the lake but the fishing tours are really expensive. We will be bring our own fishing rods and equipments. If we get a fishing license, wonder if fishing off the shore of Lake Wakatipu is permitted? and whether anyone has experience catching any fish just fishing from the shore of the lake.

Thanks

Low

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • srinpav's Profile Photo

Re: Fishing Lake Wakatipu

by srinpav Online Now Sep 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM

here there,
    when i was in queenstown me and my girlfriend went on a fishing trip on the lake and we also couldn't afford the high prices and told this to the boat owner. he gave a half price discount which made it about 50 NZ dollars each. all he asked was that we didn't tell the other people who had obviously paid full price. I think we were on the water for about 3 hours and we both caught about 5 fish each.(rainbow and brown trout)the largest being about 45cm long. the driver was also very informative and gave us from nibbles and drinks. I've got a pic or two of us on the lake in my NZ pages, one being my girlfriend showing her impressive catch with snow-capped peaks in the background. check them out if you're interested and good luck with it.
    hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lowlee's Profile Photo

by lowlee Online Now Sep 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Will try our luck with the shops when we are there.If not will try fishing off the shore/jetty and see what we get. Thanks.

Low

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Oct 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I think this is the best tactics. But I have never seen a lot of people fishing in Queenstown, only some outside, especially in the Glenorchy region and the valleys north of Lake Wakatipu. Last time a guy was fishing at a lake along the road to Paradise.

This might be an interesting read for you:

babyboomersguide.co.nz/Trout...

• lowlee's Profile Photo

by lowlee Online Now Oct 16, 2009 at 3:40 AM

Hi

Thanks for the website - it is very informative. Seems that it is not so easy to catch fish just from the lakeside. Well, we will see how things go when we are there.

Thanks.

Low

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Oct 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM

In any case, I wish you a good catch :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines