Queenstown Travel Answers

change location
leigh767's Profile Photo

Autumn: When exactly is the best time to visit Queenstown

by leigh767 Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Hi all!

I know New Zealand/Queenstown is stunning almost any time of year. But my partner and I are looking to head down for a photography trip this autumn so our question is simple but important to us: when is the best time to visit Queenstown in the autumn? We really want to see Q'town in the "true autumn" period (when everything's just a riot of orange, red and yellow). We also recognise that the period is fleeting and the timing may shift from year to year. But we just want to maximise our chances of being there when it does happen.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Specific times (eg. "second half of April") would be most appreciated.

For background, this will be our second trip. The last was this past November - and WHAT a gorgeous country.

Thanks so much in advance!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Autumn: When exactly is the best time to visit Queenstown

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM

So far I have taken the best autumn photos in the second half of April, after the 20th. But as you already noticed, this varies from year to year.

The "riot of colours" is more or less yellow, that's why they call it "golden" down there. The most spectacular place is Lake Hayes, followed by Arrowtown.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leigh767's Profile Photo

Re: Autumn: When exactly is the best time to visit Queenstown

by leigh767 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Thanks so much, Sissi! Just looked up photos of Arrowtown and Lake Hayes in the autumn and indeed - stunning! Will be sure to include them when we're in Queenstown.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines