Queen Charlotte Sound Travel Answers

change location

Camping on Queen Charlotte Track

by moprad Online Now Sep 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Hi everyone
We'd like to camp on the QC Track but can't seem to find much info or photos of campsites, private and DOC. We will be on the track next month (OCT) and would love to hear from anyone who has camped along the way.
Thanks,
Moprad

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now Sep 9, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Some websites for the QueenCharlotte Track are business sites, they seem to come up first on google search. However the official government site is by the Department of Conservation.
    Here is their page on where to stay on the track:
    doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Camping on Queen Charlotte Track

by moprad Online Now Sep 10, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Thanks Kiwi,
    I have looked at that sight but there isn't a lot a info. Toilets, water etc...but I'd love to know other people's opinions of the campsites both DOC and private. And how many private sites are there? I can only find one. Miners Camp. Are there others further along the track?
    Thanks again.
    Moprad

• kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now Sep 11, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Well I can give you an opinion on the DOC sites, as we walked through most of them. They are very basic. ie a Toilet and a Water Tap. No cookhouse or showerblock. Just a clearing where you are permitted to camp. You need to be self contained with cooking gear.
    There simply are not many campsites so I guess that is why you are not finding much info.

• Re: Camping on Queen Charlotte Track

by moprad Online Now Sep 12, 2009 at 3:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. We've walked the South Coast Track in Tasmania so I understand basic campsites. We still may take the easy option and stay in the various accommodation places along the way. Seems like a lot less trouble.

• kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now Sep 12, 2009 at 3:34 AM

It's really nice to arrive at an establishment, have a decent bed and food etc. I really felt this was a luxury compared to other spartan huts on other tracks:-) I've written about the ones we stayed at on my pages here on VT. Have fun, Pam.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Queen Charlotte Sound