Qasr Ghilan Travel Answers

change location
flatoutpa's Profile Photo

sand in the camera?

by flatoutpa Online Now Dec 3, 2006 at 11:54 AM

I will be travelling to Tunisia, and hope to get to Qsar Ghilane. but definetley will be in Douz for some days.

I am wondering about the issue of sand affecting the cameras, that i bring. ... both a digital and an SLR 35 mm. Any suggestions?

Aslo is it difficult to get 35mm film in Tunisia?

Thanks for the information about Qsar Ghilane. It is difficult to decide if I can affort the time after leaving Douz to go to Qsar, matmatta and El jim in a few short days beofre retuning to Tunis. I am giving over about five days to the festival of the Sahara in DOuz, though, if saturated before then, will find more time to explre the Grand occidental Erg and Qsar Ghilane....

Any suggestions are welcome.

Stuart

flatoutpa@yahoo.ca

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • TheLongTone's Profile Photo

RE: sand in the camera?

by TheLongTone Online Now Dec 3, 2006 at 12:13 PM

That sand it gets everywhere, canging lenses on an slr is a nightmare....take your little blower -brush doofus.

Dont know about Tunisia, but in Morocco all I found anywhere was 200ASA film. So if you want fast film for those nooks & corners or 100ASA for bright desert light, I'd think about taking it with you. It'll probably be no more expensive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kevin-UK's Profile Photo

RE: sand in the camera?

by Kevin-UK Online Now Dec 4, 2006 at 10:48 AM

You won't need 5 days at the Douz festival.
    I took an Olympus OM10 that I bought second-hand in 1987 for the last two years. I only used 200 asa film and most shots were fine. My son took a digital, and this year I'll be taking my new Nikon D50. Yes the sand does get everywhere, it is like a fine dust rather than sand, just be carefull and if they are precious to you then maybe have them cleaned professionally on your return.
    Once in Douz you should be able to find transport to Ksar Ghilane, from there you could travel to Matmata, then back to El Jem and then on to Tunis.
    If you are really serious about this trip to the desert areas you could email this guy, Naceur, he is a friend who has a stall in K.Ghilane, he lives in Douz and is open to guiding groups or individuals for a reasonable price. Email is deserterg@yahoo.fr, he speaks a little English, French and Arabic. Naceur could arrange transport from a Toyota pick-up to a camel, but he could certainly get you to and from K.Ghilane, from either Douz or Tataouine.
    Kevin
    PS If you do contact Naceur you should mention Kevin and his family and he will know who I am.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Qasr Ghilan