Pyramids of Giza Travel Answers

change location
guod7's Profile Photo

Horses and riding

by guod7 Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 10:47 AM

HI
I would like to experience the pyramids from an angle or location not full of tourists jostling for space. Riding a well kept horse out and around the pyramids seems like an option. What stables or vendors can anyone recommend? FB Stables and Prestige Stables are the two I have been looking at recently. Their prices seem to be about65 US for a half day.
On these rides can a person get close to the pyramids?
Any other hints would be appreciated.
Thanks
Doug

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Horses and riding

by travelgourmet Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I don't know about now, but when I visited the pyramids there where many camel riders in the area. Also, photo ops with the camel driver holding the camel. I asked one camel driver if I could ride the camel around the area and he said walk it for me. I did and then I rode off into the sunset. lol I brought the camel right back to the driver and he was stunned that I did so well. That's the only hint i can give, go see a camel driver.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Apr 22, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Well have you been to Cairo? The pyramids adjoin the city...there is even a MacDonalds across the road from the pyramids.All are in one close location even the Sphinx which you cannot get close to.

Every picture I had seen made me think the pyramids were miles out in the desert.

Camels were being ridden close to the pyramids , even a young lad was climbing up a pyramid till he was hauled down. There were lots of camels available for rides.

We came in one of the many tour buses from Queen Mary2 so the area may have been more crowded than usual.(April 2009)

It may have its own charm but Cairo was a shock to me and I wonder if the horses you mention are looked after or are as poorly as everything else I saw.

Perhaps a member who has spent time there will give you more insight

• Re: Horses and riding

by ballyann Online Now Apr 23, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Hi Doug,
    I had the same idea a number of years ago.
    How romatic to gallop round the pyramids with the music from Lawrence of Arabia running through my head.
    No Chance - the poor horses were weary and we felt so sorry for them that we dismounted after a few hundred yards and took them back to the stable.
    By all means check out the stables when you are there but I can't in all honesty recomend it.

Val

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Apr 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Val, I did. My birth name is Lawrence and at the time of my ride through the desert near the pyramids, I lived in Agoura, California, USA. So, I was shouting out, "look out, it's Lawrence of Agoura". lol My wife still gets a laugh remembering me waving and shouting while racing two arab camel drivers. Lawrence of Arabia has nothing on Lawrence of Agoura. ;-)

• Re: Horses and riding

by Catw Online Now Apr 24, 2009 at 7:39 AM

There are a few horse stables which cater to rich Egyptians and expats. Horses are extremely happy there. These stables are located far from the pyramids entrance, you will find reputable ones indicated in the Lonely Planet. Always a good idea to call and book the ride in advance so that you can get a horse which fits your level.

You will be taken for a ride in the desert surrounding the pyramids on one side. This is the desert going all the way to Saqqarah and then Dashur and it's pretty big - our colleagues who didn't see it must have visited quickly with a tour operator...

You'll be riding out of the fenced perimeter, but you'll have an incredible view on the pyramids and will be able to gallop in the desert amid sand dunes, and with almost no tourists. You won't be able to go close to the pyramids but honestly it's no big deal, as being out of the fenced perimeter means no touts and no hassle. However you can ask to be taken inside the fenced perimeter in order to ride at the foot of the pyramids, provided you pay the entrance fee.

• Traveller-for-ever's Profile Photo

by Traveller-for-ever Online Now Jan 22, 2012 at 8:19 AM

On these rides can a person get close to the pyramids?
    Of course;yes and you can also leave the horse in the hand of your guide and go inside the pyramides, and or the tombs!!!
    Any other hints would be appreciated. Thanks Doug

Read more: VT Forum temporarily unavailable

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Pyramids of Giza