Pyramids of Giza Travel Answers

change location

How to book a day tour

by K-Flex Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 1:37 AM

I am visiting Egypt for 4 days in June and would like to know the best way of booking day tours of the Pyramids.

Is it best to pre book this through a travel agent?

Or can most hotels assist with this?

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • TheLongTone's Profile Photo

Re: How to book a day tour

by TheLongTone Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 2:07 AM

It's perfectly possible to do this on your own, just get a taxi to Giza. But any hotel will be able to arrange something for you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cafank's Profile Photo

by cafank Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 3:12 AM

My first time alone in Cairo I prebooked a tour and although it was good was expensive. My hotel offered the same tour for half the cost and I could have added lots of other things eg markets, Christian area, museum for similar price as the original tour.

You can do the tour by yourself - I did this the second time when with a girlfriend. Only problem was we did get hassled a bit by touts. But it was cheap, we took our own time to see things, and thoroughly enjoyable - better than the booked tour as we hired a guide at the pyramids to tell us more details etc, still very cheap.

Have a great time

• johnmperry's Profile Photo

by johnmperry Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 3:39 AM

When we went we were approached by a tout at the airport before we'd passed immigration! That was a while ago, but I don't think times have changed. We booked with him because our time was limited, and we didn't want to waste any getting out, nor did we want to miss anything important.

• vdoortje's Profile Photo

by vdoortje Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Most hotels will arrange this trip for you. You can look around and try to get best prices in Cairo. This will cost you a lot of time! Try to pre arrange on line!

There are a lot of tourguides in Cairo who are more than happy to arrange this trip for you. There are some of them around this site. Try to contact them by e-mail; tell them what you want to see and do and they will give you a price. Haggling is the key word in Egypt and it can also be done on the Internet. Have several guides asked for their price, and haggle: "I have had another offer for the same trip that is much cheaper......." and so on!

My favourit tourguide in Egypt in Mohamed Bahaa.
    m.bahaa2@usa.net
    bahaa94@hotmail.com
    http://www.cairo-overnight.co.uk/

Egypt Favorite Tips by vdoortje

Good luck, Dora.

• cabeyp's Profile Photo

by cabeyp Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 5:10 AM

Go yourself, book a taxi and be driven all the way to the main entrance. If not there are chances you could be taken to a back road where the driver "knows a guide."
    Although it is beneficial asking people for help in Cairo, the more you tell them about your intended plans the more you will find they can offer that too...and that...and that as well. Before you know it you 've agreed to everything.

So be clear about what you want to do and stick with that decision.

• rosegirl's Profile Photo

by rosegirl Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 5:59 AM

Hello K-Flex : ))
    Welcome to Egypt and please don't forget sun screen cream with you as you are visiting Egypt in June.

I would recommend you to book tour with agent not with hotel for many reasons and from experience of ALL my friends who booked tours with hotels ,they were very pushy at restaurants,bazaars and SPECIALLY when you visit pyramids they will do their best to book you camel and horse tour and i have seen that MYSELF before so avoid that and don't be taken if price look cheap as they are hoping after that to make more money from shopping and etc...

Can give quote about company called egypt rays and site is egyptrays.com

If you have any question ,you can ask me : )) RoseGirl

• Re: How to book a day tour

by pangtidor Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Hi K-Flex...
    I would recommend you to go to the Giza Plateau alone. See the VT members tips on Cairo or pyramids of Giza or Egypt pages to organize your own trip there. You may read more complete stories on the internet than the stories from your guide. It will be easy to go there from Cairo or Giza by taxi, only around 10-20 LE, depends on where you stay. Get the hotel address in the front desk in Arabic to show your taxi driver on the way back.A good hotel will help you to find a taxi with the right price.
    We went there with the arranged tour on our first trip and it was terrible. Though it was only a small group (7 of us), the guide was trying his best to trap us in the shopping tour. That extra tour minimized our time in Giza and we were rushed to all the sites. He kept on telling us, ok guys 20 minutes in this pyramid. We have paid more than 100LE each for that arranged tour. And the tour did not keep us away from the hassle in Giza area too.
    We went there again by ourself and were very surprised to know we missed many things. More tombs to enter without the entrance fee, though the chances of hassle increased.
    Happy planning..

• Travel_kat's Profile Photo

by Travel_kat Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 10:10 AM

I agree with Pangtidor. You can easily do it on your own. My hotel was nearby, so I just walked to the Pyramids. But you can take a taxi to the main entrance. You pay 50 LE to visit the pyramids and sfinx. If you want to visit a pyramid inside, you have to go early in the morning. There are only limited tickets each day. Enjoy your visit! The pyramids are impressive.

by K-Flex Online Now Apr 14, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Thanks so much everyone, great advice!

• rouviere's Profile Photo

by rouviere Online Now May 12, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I'm going in July... so After you come back I will really need your advice....specially on women dress code.. I heard alot of comments
    Thank you'
    Rouviere

by Catw Online Now Sep 29, 2008 at 1:35 AM

No need to pay for a guide or to arrange a tour, except if you want to pay five times the price. Simply hail a cab in the street and ask to be driven to the Giza pyramids. From downtown the cost is 20 EGP maximum. Once you've visited, you simply take another cab on the street to go back.

As for women's clothing... the rules are simple : cover your legs, cover your elbows and do not show cleavage while on the street. Of course if you go on the beach or in some trendy bar or restaurant, the dress code is more relaxed.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Pyramids of Giza