Pyramids of Giza Travel Answers

change location
saraheg77's Profile Photo

How are the camel rides?

by saraheg77 Online Now Apr 2, 2004 at 10:53 AM

Hi! I definitely want to have a bit of a camel ride while I'm there... I don't care how uncomfortable or expensive... I want pictures of me on a camel! =) But what is a good price for a ride and how long is a ride? Do they lead you around? Tell me about any experiences you've had riding a camel!! Thanks, Sarah

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • siso010's Profile Photo

Re: How are the camel rides?

by siso010 Online Now Apr 2, 2004 at 11:52 AM

for me as an egyptian i take a camel for the long trip "big trip around pyramids and sphinx" it cost me about 30 L.E approx 7$ i dunno how much tourist should pay hope that helps. ./siso

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: How are the camel rides?

by yshimy Online Now Apr 2, 2004 at 5:32 PM

yeah, better go with local to be able to get a good price and reduce the hassel but it will be fun anyhow

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Re: Re: How are the camel rides?

by saraheg77 Online Now Apr 2, 2004 at 8:24 PM

I'm going to be in a tour group with a guide, that should help :)

by Glospi Online Now Apr 2, 2004 at 9:46 PM

If you are on a tour group, your guide should help you to bargain, which is a necessary thing: they will try to charge as much as they can, and, whether you accept the price or not, the camel owners will insist on a tiresome, exhausting and, sometimes, unpleasant bargaining. On the other hand, LE. 30 for a camel ride around the 3 main pyramids is a reasonable price, but for just a picture of you "on board" of the camel, LE. 5 is enough. (BTW, I didn't needed to take my pic on a camel there: I rented camels for a week in Morocco the year before, so I got a lot of pictures of me in them, etc.) Enjoy! (and don't pay too much attention to the ongoing, unavoidable pestering...) Daniel

• sus.home's Profile Photo

Re: How are the camel rides?

by sus.home Online Now Apr 3, 2004 at 3:56 AM

I have done that camel ride around the whole place some years ago and the before mentioned prize sounds good. Be careful when your group leader discusses the prize with the camel owner, he will take a higher prize, because he gets brogerage. The camel ride at the pyramids of gizeh is a thing that a lot of tourists want to do. Therefore the prizes here are higher than somewhere else in Egypt. If you are going to the Red Sea, try a camel ride there. It is cheaper and you will have more fun riding the camel! When you are in Egypt - even as a girl - never forget to discuss prizes, sometimes it helps not to take the first offer and if this has been the best, you can go there again and the prize will be the same as discussed before. Have fun in that great country!

• jenniferhen's Profile Photo

by jenniferhen Online Now Apr 3, 2004 at 8:17 AM

As posted, it is a lot of hassling and costs are high. I did not have any desire to do it but you will have no problems arranging a ride. Take the advice of your guide and go from there. Everyone has their own personal idea of a "good deal" and do not listen to everyone else, if you are happy with the services that you paid for then you got a great deal! Who cares what everyone else paid!! Have a blast!!

by Glospi Online Now Apr 3, 2004 at 8:36 AM

Sus.home is right: in Dahab, on the Red Sea, you can get a camel with no hassle at LE. 5 per hour (or even less, if you stay for some days at the place and get acquainted with the camel herd) Daniel

by saraheg77 Online Now Apr 4, 2004 at 11:38 AM

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I won't be going to the Red Sea and not sure I'll be anywhere else where I could ride a camel. And I was thinking about riding it and not just taking a picture. Plus, I will be with my fiance, who's a big fellow and also a salesman, so he knows how to bargain and not be taken advantage of. Jennifer - yeah, I agree... to me, it's worth alot to be in Egypt and on a camel period, so I'm sure I'll think I got my money's worth :) Thanks everyone!

by Glospi Online Now Apr 4, 2004 at 11:45 AM

Hahahaha!!! So you go on the safe side, girl: a fiancee who's a big fella and a salesman will guarantee you a good deal at the pyramids, for sure!! Go there guys, and avenge us for all the unnecessary hassle other travellers have suffered but, mostly, ENJOY AND HAVE A GRRRRREAT TRIP!!! Daniel

• swings's Profile Photo

by swings Online Now Apr 4, 2004 at 12:16 PM

Hi, I definitely can understand your wanting to ride around the pyramids of Giza; it is an unforgettable experience! Unfortunately, even though it has been a few years since I last did it, I can still remember all the hassle... The harangueing of the venders there is the WORST! I think one person here described being taken far away from the pyramids and then being "talked" out of a lot of money before being taken back to the drop off area. So just by asking here, you can be prepared... try nearly emptying out your wallets and putting your money into various pockets of your clothing, and I hope you have some with inside zippers for more security. When the "nearly inevitable" happens, you can say you just don't have any more money! You can show your nearly empty wallets. And stick with your story! You might have just a few extra dollars in your wallets that you can use to tip the guy if he treats you right. And you can tell him that, too! Be polite but firm; hopefully you can keep smiling throughout all of this. Another bit of advice.... your camel driver will lead the camels a short distance away from the pyramids while you go inside them. This allows others to also approach the pyramids... but it also allows the persistent crowd of hawkers to swarm around you when you come out into the daylight. DO NOT let them put any of their good into your hands! Because they will not take them back from you.... keep your hands occupied, like on your handbag or your camera... just spot your camel driver as quickly as you can and walk over to him. Like I said... you will always cherish your pictures on the camels, but you will always remember the hassle, too. So plan on a story you two can use.... Egyptians are generally very friendly and pleasant, and you should have a fabulous time while there. If you have the time, get out to the tombs of Saqqara and the Serapium, as well as the Step Pyramid, which predates the Giza pyramids. The tombs are great! And it's pretty close to Cairo, too. Have fun... w

• vdoortje's Profile Photo

by vdoortje Online Now Apr 5, 2004 at 6:07 AM

Most of the responses on this item are right! All but one. Don't ask your tour guide to hassle for you! It will bring him in an awkward position. Most of the people working in the pyramid area will know him and he has to work with them and stay friends with them longer than your stay endures. He will never bargain the best price for you, because he wants to stay friends with the both you and the owner of the camel. I hope I am sounding clear now. It makes me remember of my first visit to Egypt. We were in Luxor on a cruise ship and I wanted to have some cigarettes. In front of the ship was a man selling cigarettes, but I had no idea what the price was for cigarettes in Egypt. So I asked our guide what would be a fair price. He was vanished in an instance! He simply was gone! So I went on on my own. 3 minutes later some member of our group came to tell me not to pay more than 20 LE for 10 packages. In Dutch, that was. It turned out that our guide took hiding and contacted the other man of our group to tell me what a good price would be in Dutch, so the merchandiser couldn't understand. Later on I understood why our guide handled like this. He had to go on working there and that would be impossible if he made enemies under the local people. So don't let your guide do the hassle! There is a big chance he will come up with a price of 15 or 20 and has a nice profit for himself as well. Or for his employer. Beside that: a camel ride is great!!! I did it in Luxor Westbank and loved it! We went through the village of Querna and got an intriguing insight in the daily life of the rural life in Egypt! Although I must confess that 2 hours on a camel was just about the limit my but coult take!! LOL Love, Dora.

by Glospi Online Now Apr 5, 2004 at 8:35 AM

Vdoortje has some reason: maybe let the guide bargaining in your place might not be a wise idea, but I was assuming that you would accord a price (within the range we suggest) with him beforehand, telling that you, on no account, will pay more than that, and desirably less. This is a derivation of the usual way to bargain in that countries, but sending a third party to do it instead of doing it personally. But I rarely deal with guides, in any way, I agree: I speak some basic Arabic, but can understand it quite well, which is enough to bargain at a favourable level, and to avoid being ripped off. My suggestion is: let your fiancee do the deal; he will get the camels for free, hopefully...;-) Enjoy!! Daniel

• swings's Profile Photo

by swings Online Now Apr 5, 2004 at 10:47 AM

lol "For free"! That sounds a lot like what the sellers tell you, too, at the pyramids and at khan el khalili! I haven't been there in nearly four years, but I'll bet it hasn't changed. I'll check it out next month when I get there for a few days. ;) wr

by saraheg77 Online Now Apr 5, 2004 at 11:01 AM

Glospi - yes, I'll let my fiancee do the dirty work. ha! swings - You are going in May, too? If you're back before I leave (May 11), I'd love to hear all about it!!

• swings's Profile Photo

by swings Online Now Apr 5, 2004 at 11:46 PM

Hi Sarah, I was trying to find out when you were going, and I could not get the link from your home page to work, so I'm glad you mentioned it here. Unfortunately, we'll JUST miss each other! We're returning to Beirut on the 10th, as we're spending 4 months here (2 down, 2 to go). We'll be spending half our time in Egypt in Sharm El Sheikh, which has the best snorkeling we've ever seen in all our experiences. One of these days we should take up scuba. We also are hoping to visit St. Catherine's Monastery, which is the supposed site of the Burning Bush. Have a great trip! Get a digital camera, for sure! And if you learn just a few words of Arabic, the Egyptians will love it! w

by saraheg77 Online Now Apr 7, 2004 at 7:34 AM

Swings - What?!? You get on VT at work? Oops, I am too, ha! =) Wow... sounds like you're going on quite a trip! And I keep seeing a lot of posts for Sharm El Sheikh, but we won't make it there this time. Where is St. Catherine's Monastery? How interesting!! I was trying to figure out who was Pharoah when Joseph was in Egypt, but there are different opinions. We have a digital camcorder that can take pictures, too. And yeah, we're going to try to learn a little Arabic! When does your excursion begin? Have a great time!! Sarah

by saraheg77 Online Now Apr 7, 2004 at 7:36 AM

Ooops - read that wrong... I thought you meant you couldn't get the link to work from work... ha! It should be geocities.com/saraheg77/egyp... At least it works on my 'puter :)

• swings's Profile Photo

by swings Online Now Apr 19, 2004 at 11:15 PM

Hi Sarah, I nearly missed this! I guess we had already gone to Jordan by the time your last message was put up. In fact, we just extended our stay in Egypt two days, so our trips will overlap just a bit! It's not a tour like you have set up... just a week's visit in Sharm and in Cairo. St. Catherine's Monastery is inland in the Sinai, just a short drive from Sharm. w

• daryll's Profile Photo

RE: RE: How are the camel rides?

by daryll Online Now Mar 21, 2006 at 9:16 AM

Hey Sarah!!!

No need to go through the hassle in haggling with the 'baksheeh people'.
    Get you guide to negotiate, and make sure your guide stands around so he can snap pictures while you on the process of riding the camel.

I agree with everybody about riding a camel can be anywhere but need not to pay
    a lot. But a perfect picture of yourself riding on the camel around the pyramids is not always!!! so, make sure you do it and remember it for the rest of your life.

I enjoyed riding it and only paid LE20. (if you ask your guide do it for you)
    Take a look at my homepage, feature myself riding camel around the pyramid giza and you know what i meant.

Enjoy your holiday!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Pyramids of Giza