Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• storyin's Profile Photo

local jewellery shop, artist?

by storyin Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Hola,
      Is there any special, nice local jeweller, jewelry shop in Punta arenas?

Please recommend me, I would like to visit and buy something.

Gracias.

1 Answer Apr 3, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    • Peregrina2014's Profile Photo

Dressing for the Occasion

by Peregrina2014 Online Now Mar 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I will be in Punta Arenas next week and plan to walk around town, go shopping, visit museums and eat at nice restaurants. The following week I'll be backpacking the Circuit of Torres del Paine; for this part of the trip I definitely know how to dress, no problem. However I always dress as the city people do wherever I go, I like to blend in and also be respectful of their culture. Many Americans tend to be noticed because they always look like tourists, I don't want to feel out of place, and because I have never been that far south and don't know anyone from that area I am not sure what to wear. Any advice?
      Mary

25 Answers Mar 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    • name of camping shops in zona franca?

by OFKU Online Now Feb 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM

name of camping shops in zona franca?

1 Answer Feb 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    • transportation out of the central patagonia area?

by nancyschmitz Online Now Nov 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM

we fly into Punta Arenas from Santiago and would like to take a bus north after we visit the park and the area - how do we do this?

18 Answers Nov 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    • Going around Puntas Arena islands

by SouthTraveler Online Now Sep 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

It seems that there so much to see in the southern part of the Puntas Arenas, mainly the waterways and the islands (or so it seems on the map). How does on get to see that part?

1 Answer Nov 29, 2013 at 3:54 AM
    • Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales?

by kp98 Online Now Aug 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Hi, We have 1 extra day before we start the TDP trek. We need some advice which of these 2 places would be better to spend that extra 1 day and what activity or sightseeing tour can you recommend. We'll be there on the 2nd week of October. Thanks a lot in advance!!

10 Answers Nov 29, 2013 at 3:54 AM
    • Cheaper tour to Magdalena Penguin reserve from cruise ship

by JaneLKrause Online Now Sep 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Is there a local tour to the penguin reserves that we can get when we exit our cruise ship in Nov. 2012?

1 Answer Oct 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    • Otway Sound Penguin Reserve

by ookpic Online Now Jun 23, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Is this Penguin Reserve open on Christmas Day December 25 2012

1 Answer Jun 23, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    • Atencion en semana santa

by pauch50 Online Now Apr 3, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Hola! Alguien sabe si el shopping mall esta abierto para semana santa? (viernes en particular)
      Gracias!
      Saludos desde Ushuaia!

1 Answer Apr 4, 2012 at 5:33 AM
    • Getting from Punta Arenas to Rio Gallegos?

by traveldreamer108 Online Now Feb 28, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I am hoping to be in Punta Arenas on April 4. I would like to take a 17:10 flight from Rio Gallegos back to Buenos Aires on April 5. The only bus I have been able to find between PA and RG is Pacheco Buses at 11:30 am, which would be cutting it too close. It seems insane that we should be ready to leave Punta Arenas on the night of April 4 but unable to get to Rio Gallegos in time for a 17:10 flight the next day. Do you have any recommendations for other ways to get there? Are there any other buses? Can I take connecting buses (maybe get closer to the Chilean border on the evening of 4/4 and take the bus from there the next morning?). Car rentals that can be dropped off in Argentina? (If you have prices that would be really helpful). I looked up flying from Punta Arenas but it would cost700! I'd really appreciate any help!

1 Answer Mar 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM
    • rental company for camper in Patagonie

by phille Online Now Feb 27, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Hello;

i'm from Belgium and i try to organize a trip to Patagonia, starting in Punta Arenas (airport)

I would like to do this trip by camper (4x4 or normal).
      Is there somebody who can tell me where i can find a rental company for campers or mobilhomes?
      Is november a good moment to visit Patagonie?

Thanks,
      Phille

• Weather in July 2

by Wanderingscot Online Now Feb 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I´m new to this forum and have not managed to add a comment to my first question, hence the new post.

I just want to thank everyone for replying so quickly and giving me exactly the information I was looking for.

I guessed the place was wet and shivery at that period and have decided to go in the opposite direction instead - to the Atacama desert!

BTW, I live in São Paulo and if any of you ever have a travel question about it or Brazil I´ll be happy to help if I can.

2 Answers Feb 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    • Weather in July

by Wanderingscot Online Now Feb 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I´ll be in Puntas Arenas in early-mid July and am planning to go to Puerto Natales by bus.

Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect? Guide books are rather vague and I don´t know whether I will find just cold temperatures around zero and the kind of dreichy miserable damp weather we have in Scotland or if it will be cold and crisp and sunny as it can be in the Alps sometimes.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 Answers Feb 21, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    • Need transportation from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales in evening

by chilefan Online Now Feb 8, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Does anyone know a reliable private car/driver or taxi service to take 2 people from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales at 10pm in the evening? We arrive after the last bus (8pm, I believe) and need to be in Puerto Natales by 8am. What's the cost? Thanks.

1 Answer Feb 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    • Want to see 2011 Superbowl in Punta Arenas

by SEVendt Online Now Jan 26, 2011 at 5:56 AM

We are two huge Packers fans who will be in Punta Arenas during the Superbowl. Does anyone have any ideas on how we could see this game? Thanks!

7 Answers Jan 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    • milliturtle's Profile Photo

Buses Fernandez - Reservations Required?

by milliturtle Online Now Nov 10, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I've looked at the forums and guidebooks and many suggested that we make reservations for the ride to Puerto Natales during the summer months. Our plane is going to arrive at around 11am, so we are hoping to get on the 1pm bus.

In your experience, do you think I need to make reservations for the bus a day or two in advance? My Spanish is pretty bad, so it'll be difficult calling to make a reservation a day or two in advance while I'm in Santiago. Thanks.

• De Punta Arenas a Ushuaia

by amattoso Online Now Oct 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM

What is the best transportation to Ushuaia??Plane or bus???

thanks

Adriana
      Sao Paulo, Brasil

3 Answers Oct 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    • milliturtle's Profile Photo

Luggage storage

by milliturtle Online Now Oct 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM

We are coming from Puerto Natales to Punta Arenas in the morning but will be catching a late flight to Santiago. We are really hoping to tour Isla Magdalenas but have no idea what to do with our luggage. Do you know if there is a left luggage facility at the Punta Arenas Airport or in town? Would we be able to check in almost 12 hours in advance? Or if the tour company (Comapa, I think) will be able to store the bags for us?

I suppose worse case is that we could drag it with us to the Island but that is really not preferred. Thank you.

3 Answers Oct 8, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    • Catamaran to Beagle Channel

by Blondie44blue Online Now Feb 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Is it possible to book a trip on a catamaran to the Beagle Channel when my ship docks at Punta Arenas, rather than use the ship's excursion? Any other suggestions?

3 Answers Feb 7, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    • Punta Arena on New Year's day

by debbieO Online Now Dec 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Hi, We are family of 3, arriving Punta Arenas on 01/01/2010 by Star Princess.
      I'd like to get some information on what is like on New Year's day in Punta Arenas? Will there taxi or tour operators at the Port? Will the stores be open? Shall I prearrange a tour just in case everything is closed on that day?

4 Answers Dec 13, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    • ushuaia to punta arenas and up the west coast of Chile

by CarolynJones53 Online Now Oct 22, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I am going on an antarctic crusies arriving back in Ushuaia on 11 December and then meeting my friend who is flying into Punta Arenas. Please could anyone tell me how I can get to Punta Arenas and whether it is more cost effective to hire a car for a week or so to visit the TDP etc or whether the buses are reliable and economical. Thanks

5 Answers Oct 24, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    • Braun - Mendes Mansion

by michaelallen05 Online Now Sep 18, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I visited a few years ago and I thought there was a mural with birds by Picasso's father. I would like to verify if this is true.

• Punta Arenas to Ushuaia

by miriamsaunders Online Now Aug 29, 2009 at 4:25 AM

With two companions we are wanting to travel from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia on Sunday 29th November 2009 and returning on Sunday 6th December 2009. Sunday seems to be a bad day as I can't find any bus services that operate on Sundays. Does anyone know of any bus services that operate on these days or can suggest any alternatives in addition to flying?

thanks, Miriam

1 Answer Sep 2, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    • Tours to Ushuaia in June

by SthAmericanTraveller Online Now May 16, 2009 at 2:46 PM

My friend and I are travelling around South America and expect to be in Santiago at the beginning of July. We would like to travel to Southern Patagonia and, if possible, Ushuaia, however, we are struggling to find any tour companies that operate at this time of year. We would be very grateful for any advice as to whether it is worth attempting the trip when tour companies in the UK are advising against it and for any suggestions regarding the best way to travel down. Would the best route be to fly to Punta Arenas? Are we likely to be able to find any accomodation on arrival or can anyone suggest somewhere we could book in advance (transport permitting!)? We understand that the weather can be very unpredicatable and we are prepared to face the freezing conditions in order to be able to see the magnificant scenery. We would be grateful for any any assistance. Many thanks in advance!

2 Answers May 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    • Mount Fenton/Club Andino/ Magallanes Forest hike?

by jauntyjeanne Online Now Jan 22, 2009 at 5:58 AM

We are considering doing this hike for abot 2-3 hours while on shore during a cruise stop...can anyone comment on what it's like? Easy or hard, beautiful etc.?

• what to do in punta arenas

by bean4bean4 Online Now Jan 19, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Hello

I'll be in Punta arenas for 8 hours.

I'm hesitating between a visit to the otway bay and to magdalena island. what do you suggest? I'd go there for the penguins.

do you suggest to save a few hours to have a look at the zona franca (duty free market)?

3 Answers Jan 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    • National park Torres del Paine

by bean4bean4 Online Now Jan 19, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Is it possible to visit that Park from punta arenas (back and forth) in about 8 hours?

I was told this park is a must see. What can I see there?

1 Answer Jan 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    • PUNTA ARENAS OR PUERTO MADRYN

by bean4bean4 Online Now Jan 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Can anyone help me with this one.

I know it may be difficult to answer but I'll visit Punta Arenas in Chile a few days before going to Puerto madryn in Argentina.

In Punta Arenas I can visit the Magdalena Island or the Otway bay to see penguins.

Also even though I want to see penguins (I want to see a lot of them), I don't want to see the same thing twice Which one would you recommend between Magdalena Island, Otway bay in CHILE OR lombo natural reserve or peninsula valdes IN ARGENTINA (PUERTO MADRYN)?

THANKS

5 Answers Jan 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    • hillelarkin's Profile Photo

car drive to puerto natales

by hillelarkin Online Now Jan 4, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I have 2 questions on car driving from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales (we will be there mid February, 2009):
      1) we will arrive by flight from Puerto Montt at about 18.30 PM (namely, will be out of the airport about 19.30. Are the car rental offices still operating at the airport?
      2) How long is the drive to P. Natales??

3 Answers Jan 8, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    • HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

Ushuaia to Torres del Paine

by HarmoniousBotch Online Now Jul 20, 2008 at 11:36 PM

We plan to fly into Ushuaia ( from El Calafate ), and then go into Chile ( presumably through Punta Arenas ), see Torres del Paine, and then fly to Santiago.

The general question is how should we do it?

The particular questions are:
      1) Is it easy to rent a car in Argentina and drop it off in Chile?
      2) What is the best way to get from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas? Car/ferry? Bus/ferry? Fly? ( not interested in cruise ship )
      3) Where is a reasonable place to stay while visiting Torres del Paine? Puerto Natales?
      4) Where do we catch a flight from southern Chile into Santiago? The best we can find requires going back south to Punta Arenas.
      5) Or should we scrap the plan above and take the different route of El Calafate to Torres del Paine, back to El Calafate, then down to Usuaia?

Also, any general advice on the whole plan would appreciated.
      Thanks
      -HB

2 Answers Aug 26, 2008 at 2:29 AM