Pune Travel Answers

change location
antuantuan's Profile Photo

Mosquitos, clothing and repellant

by antuantuan Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I am going to Pune in 10 days for work and will stay at the Marriott Hotel and Convention Centre. Work wise, the location is Hinjewadi Infotech Park.

What type of clothes should I bring? Is it safe to wear shorts and short sleeves during the day? Reading on the internet, they seem to be discouraged because of the risk of daylight mosquitos that carry Dengue Fever.

When sunbathing and swimming at the Hotel, should I spray myself with mosquito repellant?

Finally, should I spray any parts of my body that are covered with clothes with DEET, day and night, including my face?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: Mosquitos, clothing and repellant

by travelmad478 Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Generally you will not be at much risk of mosquito bites, particularly considering that you will be in air-conditioned hotels and offices. Modern buildings in India tend to be so heavily air-conditioned that no mosquito could possibly survive more than a minute! I have to wear sweaters inside when I'm in India even though it's 95 degrees outside :-)

Outdoors, it can't hurt to put on mosquito repellent if you're going to be lying by the pool (although you may find after one day that it is not necessary). I would not bother to spray it on parts of your body that will be covered with clothing. In general, you're in a city, and the mosquitoes will not be bad except possibly right at dusk. It's not like you're in the jungle or something like that.

I would advise you to leave your shorts at home in any case, just because shorts are not something people in India wear--even though it is very hot. Long pants (light fabric) are pretty much it.

There is a risk of both malaria and dengue in India; if you are really concerned, you should take malaria medication, as that is a much more serious and long-term illness. But I have been to India probably 20 times and have barely been bitten by mosquitoes at all. For many years now, I haven't bothered to take malaria pills when I travel there.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Nov 18, 2012 at 4:17 AM

The above answer by travelmad478 is spot on. Your hotel is a 5-star residence. You'll feel chilly inside the hotel. Even outdoors in Pune now (November), it can be rather chilly during dusk, night time and dawn. Trousers (long pants) and full shirts would be advisable. No need for a mosquito repellant during your leisure hours by the poolside.
    Enjoy your stay in Pune and in India!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• AjayG's Profile Photo

by AjayG Online Now Nov 29, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I agree with everyone here.

I was in Pune last year in December for about three weeks or so, and it used to get quite cold in the evening, daytime was quite warm though. I met many foreigners there and made friends, they somehow complained of mosquito bites quite often, at last when they came out of their hotels, if not in hotels.

So, it will be good, if you can keep some backups handy. Apart from that, of course, wearing full clothes would be a good idea.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines