Pulau Sipadan Travel Answers

change location
TonyBagnall's Profile Photo

snorkelling in sipidan

by TonyBagnall Online Now Jan 18, 2006 at 12:22 AM

hi, we want to visit the sipidan area for 2/3 nights, but we do not dive. We really enjoy snorkelling though. Is it worth the visit just to snorkel? Are there trips specifically for just snorkelling, or do you just go along with dive trips? How much do tours cost? thanks for any help

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: snorkelling in sipidan

by obiwanwasabe Online Now Jan 18, 2006 at 1:23 AM

Hiya The snorkelling in Sipadan is better than the diving in most other places in the world! and you will be in there with the turtles and reef sharks without having to dive, but if you want the best I suggest you do a dive course and at least get certified padi open water, it is not a hard course and you can do it whilst you are there, snorkelling will be only on and around the Islands as most of the dives are boat dives and too deep for snorkelling. on nearby Mabul you will find some budget accomodation but if you want something special stay at Kapalai. boats go from both places to dive sites all around. Sipadan is, I believe, still closed for staying on but open for diving.

Nick

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

RE: snorkelling in sipidan

by Restless-in-kl Online Now Jan 18, 2006 at 2:49 AM

Hi, I do see weekenders coming in for snorkelling in Mabul and Kapalai islands as you can jump right off the jetty and snorkel. It's cheap to rent their snorkel, mask and fins. No need to follow boat. I've snorkelled in these islands before and they are much better than diving in the East Coast of Malaysia. Though I dive, I still make it a point to snorkel especially on my last day when I can't dive.

You can't really snorkel in Sipadan as it's too deep.

Please see my Sipadan travel page for accommodation details.

• TonyBagnall's Profile Photo

RE: RE: snorkelling in sipidan

by TonyBagnall Online Now Jan 18, 2006 at 1:35 PM

thanks for the advice

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines